cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

musicatokc

Buproprion

I tried it.  Took it for about 2 months.  Made me feel kinda speedy and gave me restless leg syndrome.  It did help me smoke less because it stimulates you and so you don't get that sleepy drowsy feeling that results from lack of nicotine.  But, you still have to use will power to keep from smoking.  You do think about smoking less though.  l quit for about 2 months but started right back up after I quit taking them. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
91 Replies
mike8119

Starting day three. So far, so good. Using 150 mg twice a day. Don't notice any side effects.

0 Kudos
keekee

I started on a generic  bupropion  Tuesday January 19 2010. I set my quit date for January 21 2010. I know that is kinda early but I feel so sick of smoking (hope the medicine cause that). The bupropion makes me feel a little diffrent, I can't explain the feeling. I  haven't had any weird dreams but I did notice that I need a nap about an hour after taking it.

0 Kudos
konabean

Hey smokeless, have you tried the chantex in combo with the gum??? I bet that would help, because the urges are prob nic withdrawl, and your body is still wanting a release.  But then again you have made it 8 days, so maybe you should just keep up the RX and not throw nic in your system. 

Keekee, yes the side effects make you feel a little sick, maybe a little tired, and even take away at wanting to eat.  But that little sick feeling is the same thing that I think makes you not smoke.  When your body gets more used to the RX, that feeling may go away, and the urge to smoke may come back.  But by then you will be over the hump, which is the hardest part.  After that the game becomes mental.  I am going on 10 days of being smoke free, and its getting easier.  Some days are more difficult than others, but at least its not like those first 3 days.  I kept finding myself walk out to the garage, and then I'd be like, "oh wait, i don'tsmoke," and i would come back inside.  I must have done that 10 times the first day.  Its relearning habits.  We can do this.  We can beat this.  I don't want to die of lung/brain/anyother cancer and have others feel like I brought it upon myself by smoking.  I don't want that life.  Here's to trying on a smoke free lifestyle.  But damn this is work!

0 Kudos
sandy31

This is the first time writing. I used  wellbutrin ayear ago, I quit smoking for 2 months until I changed jobs (smoked the first day I  worked)

Now i'm going to try again. I'm not looking forward to taking wellbutrin again. I did'nt really like the side effects. I am going to  do it

a little different this time. I've cut down to 5-6 cigs a day. I don't take cigs with me on errands. My biggest trigger is driving. And

the last thing i'm doing different is working out. 

Now I just have to get uo the nerve to start taking wellbutrin again. I don't plan on taking it but 2 weeks. First week  while i'm

smoking. 2nd week not smoking. these time I'm going to try the gum also.

can i get5 some feed back? Is that how it works?

0 Kudos
keekee

Hi Sandy. I've been on a generic bupropion. The only thing its done is make me sleep. But I've only been on it for 3days. the best thing to do is talk to your doctor for other option to help. This is a nasty habit and we can kick it.

0 Kudos
konabean

Hey Sandy!  Welcome to the group.  Yes indeed that is how it works.  You take the wellbutrin for a week and continue to smoke, and then on day 8 you quit.  You should buy the gum 2mg.  It tells you to chew it once and hour for a few weeks until your body adjusts to the drastic change in nic in your body.  Then you decrease from there.  I know the side effects are not fun, but I find if you take the 150mg pills 12 hours apart its not so bad.  Also, there are nasty side effects from quitting cold turkey, an I am telling you, my moods have been really stable because of the RX.  My husband can't believe it.  And I have some life stresses such as wicked inlaws, my sons first birthday party... lots of stuff these past few weeks... and I have stayed smoke free.  Just think, you are not going to be on the RX forever, just a few short months, but you would be a smoker the rest of your life... isn't it worth the few short months?  Also, wellbutrin has the lowest amount of side effects, the chantix is supposed to have much stronger side effects.  So if you don't like wellbutrin, chantix may not be an option.  But you have to do what works for you.  You need to feel comfortable.  I feel like after a couple weeks the wellbutrin side effects subside to a very nice "state".  But everyone is different.  Hope this helps.  Here is to day 12 of NO SMOKING!!!!

0 Kudos

I've been taking bupropion hydrochloride extended release 300 mg for over a year as an anti depressant. It has helped me to cut down from 20+ ciga a day down to about 10. Will it do anything to help with the last 10 since I've been on it for so long?

0 Kudos
konabean

Hey Goldensunrises, welcome to the group!  That's a very good question, and I bet it would be a good idea to ask your doctor, but of course I will give you my educated opinion (if that counts for anything).  🙂

The drug itself has a tendency to make people want to smoke less or quit.  If you didn't quit, but you cut down, then you have experienced that side effect.  But you didn't quit, you just cut down.  Which is great, but the drug doesn't do all the work for you.  So assuming that the antidepressant is doing its job, I wouldn't mess with that just to quit smoking.  Mental health is more imporant!  So, I would suggest trying the gum.  It does work, even if you chew two at a time (which I have been doing of the 2mg), but it helps with the side effects.  The doctor prob won't put you on any medication to quit smoking because you are already on something.  So I would suggest seeking out the gum, or patch, or any other nic replacement and see if that helps.  Of course, you should check with your doctor.  I hope I helped.

-Konabean

0 Kudos
mike8119

7 days smoke free. I have thoughts of smoking but no real cravings. I can only attribute that to the Wellbutrin.

0 Kudos
konabean

Great job Mike.  Keep it going....  congrats on your first week.  Wellbutrin is awesome isn't it!?!

0 Kudos