cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

kerry

You are doing it!

Hi Virginia, my name is Kerry and I tried to quit on September 17th, 2008 also. It was my birthday, so I thought it would be a great present to myself. I did quit on the 19th instead for 3 days, which is great for me. However, I couldn't stay a non smoker. I am going to try again on Wednesday after I see my doctor to see if there is any meds that might help the withdrawal symptoms. My mother died on February 8th, 1995...I do understand. You are not alone..I promise. You have already gone almost a week!!! Hang in there. Your friend, Kerry
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
karenr

Hi Virginia,

I am also a,lone and I have 3 dogs...I have COPD but a mild case of it I dont take any meds and I work outr 3 days a week for 1.5 hours each time....I quit smoking 09/04/2008 and I will NEVER pick another cancer stick up ever again...you can do this I have quit many times since I was 13 gees 33 years makes me sick to think all the damage I have already done to myself....I honestly think knowledge is your best way to beat it....Nicotine actually stays in the body 72 hours after that did you know it is all in the mind???? it is like leaving a part of yourself a part you never won;t again trust me.....read up and learn about the diease a site i read was helpful to me alot easyquitsystem it tells how the tobacco industry has done us all tlo get us addicted to this cancer...I wish you the best and these people here are so wonderful for support....trust me you can beat that little demon trust in yourself and pray about it....Karen
0 Kudos

Virginia, you ARE doing a great job. You've already passed the physical addiction part, well most of it any way, and now are dealing with the mental aspect of the addiction. In just a couple days, you'll be through with Hell Week, and I'm sure you understand why exactly it's called that. It does get easier and easier as each day passes, of that I promise you.

Kerry, I'm sure your doctor can give you something to help with whatever you are having a problem with. But you need to understand that there is going to be some discomfort to put it mildly the first week especially. If you can make it through the first three days, you've made it through the better part of the physical addiction. Those are the days you have your very worst craves. If you hold out just a little longer and make it through your first week, things do start to ease up some. And then each day that passes after that just gets a little bit easier. You just have to sometimes tell yourself just for today I will not smoke, or this hour, or this minute, or somtimes even this second. But the more time, even as little as hours you put between yourself and that last cigarette, is that much more time towards the freedom you will feel once you get past the first really crappy days.
0 Kudos
kerry

Thank you for your support Barb. I am going to the doctor's tomorrow to get some type NRT. I won't give up.
0 Kudos
virginia2

Hi Karen, thank you for the website. Iwill check it out. It's now been eleven days!!! You are right about most of it being in the mind. That's where the trigger sites lay waiting to surprise us. If only we could turn it off for a time. Thank you for the best wishes and support. virginia
0 Kudos
virginia2

hi Barb, yes, I made it through HELL WEEK, it was just a little longer for me because it is allergy season here and my asthma has had a field day! Life is starting to get easier. I'm learning to move around when the cravings hit. Clean a drawer out, do a closet, cabinet, whatever; just move and be busy. Thank you for the pat on the back. Virginia
0 Kudos
virginia2

Kerry, Happy belated birthday. You gave quitting a shot, but you may not have been prepared enough for it. Keep trying. My doctor gave me Chantix. This is the second time in four months that I've done it. Last time I had two deaths back to back that threw me off track. This time I think being here is helping as much as the medication. The only side effect I've experienced is the dreaming. they are not nightmares, just strong emotions that carry over to wakefulness and then it takes a minute or so to remember why Ifeel this way; sometimes its vivid colors or sounds. Just some aspect of the dreams seems to be with me when I wake up. Let me know how it's going. I've now gone eleven days!!! You can do it, too. Keep at it. Virginia
0 Kudos
kerry

Hi Virginia, 11 days...that's great!!! I can't wait till I can say that too. I actually tried Chantix, but I ended up in the hospital when I used it. I have the patch and hope it will help some. Thanks for your support. Do you still have fogginess after 11 days of not smoking? I had a lot of it when I quit cold turkey.
0 Kudos
virginia2

Kayla- today was the first day that I felt "normal". Don't know how long this will last. Soon you will be able to say 11 days. Have faith in yourself, you can do this. It is hard, but it is actually easier than we allow it to be. Stay busy,keep moving, drink gallons (haha)of water.
0 Kudos