cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Debbierask

Stopped 10/31/2022

Jump to solution

I had to to smoking because I had all my teeth pulled it’s now been 13 days without smoking am using nicotine patches but the craving is really bad and I am not healed yet and do want to pick smoking up what can I do to bet that craving please help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
biscuit9

I, too, had oral-type surgery, which started my quitting journey.  The surgery I had made it difficult for me to purse my lips.  I had no intention of quitting smoking, but that is what happened.  Best thing that ever happened to me.  Quit Day # 58.  I wrote and rewrote encouraging phrases and I scoured the internet for info about nicotine, copd, etc,  Lots of good copd info in here, just search.  I also prayed fervently and gave it all to God.  God led me through it.  He made the first 2.5 days very easy for me, after that it was rough til about day 21.  Stay strong and I have to say, my stubbornness served me well.  I only gave in once, on day 7.  I found the vape pen I had always hated and I didn't have to even charge it, after all this time?  What luck, huh?  I took a few puffs off it that day, and never again.  Many have quit, and you can too. Cigarettes offer you nothing, and one cig leads to another cig.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Barbscloud

@Debbierask  Welcome the Ex. and congrats on 13 days of success. Sorry to hear about you're teeth--that has to be painful.   Glad you found the site.   Quitting can be difficult at first.  It will get easier, so be kind to yourself right now and listen to what your body needs  

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Cravings:

If you're able, going for walks is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.  

Also deep breathing exercises:

Barbscloud_2-1668347928644.png

Consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help. 

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. 

Staying busy and finding distractions has helped a lot of quitters. Please make a long list of things you are willing to do to get your mind off of smoking. Find things to do that last five to thirty minutes. Vary what you do. Practice getting your mind off of fixating on the nicotine fix--it's a reward and it had been for so long that is is common to focus on it.

Spend time at Ex reading, learning, and please blog again. We want to hear from you, and sharing your stuff can help you to feel better. Also please read the mayo clinic blogs which  you can find here: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Mayo-Clinic-Blog/bg-p/mayo-clinic-blog

Please know that you are not alone. Keep focusing on what you can do, ignore the fixation. It's pretty normal but darn annoying. You can do this one day at a time. 

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 10.05.56 PM.pngb0e21fe073dcb50923b019cf8ee518b2.jpggoals.jpegYou have everything you need to quit right inside youYou have everything you need to quit right inside you

biscuit9

I, too, had oral-type surgery, which started my quitting journey.  The surgery I had made it difficult for me to purse my lips.  I had no intention of quitting smoking, but that is what happened.  Best thing that ever happened to me.  Quit Day # 58.  I wrote and rewrote encouraging phrases and I scoured the internet for info about nicotine, copd, etc,  Lots of good copd info in here, just search.  I also prayed fervently and gave it all to God.  God led me through it.  He made the first 2.5 days very easy for me, after that it was rough til about day 21.  Stay strong and I have to say, my stubbornness served me well.  I only gave in once, on day 7.  I found the vape pen I had always hated and I didn't have to even charge it, after all this time?  What luck, huh?  I took a few puffs off it that day, and never again.  Many have quit, and you can too. Cigarettes offer you nothing, and one cig leads to another cig.