cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

ChandrikaC

Question answered

Thank you for all of your responses! No longer an issue for me!

17 Replies
MDR_BDel

Yes.  That is very common and happened to me as well.  It took me a few days to get back to somewhat normal on that front, but from then on it wasn't an issue moving forward.  

WhispersQSMB

It sucks! You get back to "normal" but it took me over a month. Ex-lax,fiber pills.. A lot of water.. Epsom salt w/ water helped me a little but its part of the early process of your quit

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I'm afraid constipation is a normal withdrawal symptom.  If you think about it, it's a good idea to stay the course.  It's not good that your body is depending on a drug to normally digest food.  If increasing fiber and exercise isn't helping,I would suggest a stool softener or a couple of prunes (I used dried ones reconstituted in hot water in  the microwave - they are not as sickening sweet as the already stewed ones).  Your body WILL adjust  - give it some time!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Here's a few tips that others have found helpful:

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

ChandrikaC

Thank you for your thorough response. It is so helpful to have such a great community who has dealt with these issues and can offer REAL advice. The first time I quit smoking, I told my doctor after about the 4 month mark that I literally felt like I was full of sh** and that was the hardest part of my quitting journey. he whipped out a prescription pad and wrote "eat fiber." I about lost it. Gee doc, didn't think of that myself!

I have definitely changed up my routine as you suggested. My favorite cig was always the first one in the morning with my cup of coffee outside. Thankfully it is freezing outside so now I just drink my coffee inside. When I feel the urge at work, I force myself to hurt my lungs another way and go for a long walk outside!

I think the  hardest thing about quitting smoking is that it is not a "one day at a time" journey-- at the beginning, it felt like "one minute at a time," which was so incredibly depressing and draining. I now have 24 days under my belt and I can definitely say that the frequency has decreased. It only gets harder when I have stressors, but I am reminding myself that cigs never took away my stress.  it just took me away from it for 5 minutes.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Thovis

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm at 70 days and still having issues.  I think it's because I don't do the coffee and cig in the morning.  I don't know.  I take ducolax when it gets ridiculous.  It's kind of scary for me as I've had colon reconnect surgery just 3 years ago.  Still not going to smoke though.  haha 

ChandrikaC

Someone recommended insoluble fiber so I tried it out and it is working WONDERS. I just bought off brand Metamucil from the grocery store and I mix 2 tsp of it in a glass of water that I drink to take other medicine in the morning. It completely dissolves and has absolutely no taste.  Let’s just say that this has not been an issue since the very first day I started it almost 8 days ago. 

I HIGHLY recommend giving it a shot. Fiber pills didn’t work for me previously. I used to take dulcolax If it was bad, but I did not feel that was a good daily solution. And quite honestly, I worried I was going to have bigger issues from straining. Sorry to be gross, but it’s a really big problem from quitting. Hell I went back to smoking previously because Of this issue, so just give it a shot for me! And hopefully it helps you out, too!!!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...chandrika.christie 

Not silly at all...in fact, that is a common side effect of the quit...I found taking Miralax (one cap a morning) and a daily probiotic helped me greatly...this is what I do...if that doesn’t appeal to you...ask your Doctor they should be able to help...better to go potty then go back to smoking...Keep us posted...and a Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 338 DOF ~

avian3

This was actually the only physical withdrawal I had when I quit. It actually scared the sh......well not really or I wouldn't have been constipated. Unfortunately, my mother who was an RN told me when I was a young child that I must be sure and have a bowel movement or they might have to do surgery to remove it. So all these decades that stuck with me. Shame on you mom! Of course that wasn't true since there are other ways to take care of it before resorting to that.

Anyway, I waited at least a couple of weeks and ate a lot of insoluble fiber along with a lot of water. You may need  a little OTC products help. Don't worry it will eventually work its way out. I know it was a big celebration day for me when it happened and I was 5 lbs lighter.

ChandrikaC

Thank you so much for your advice. I did purchase the insoluble fiber, but I haven't tried it out just yet. The issue seems to be resolving itself... either that, or the introduction of yogurt to my daily breakfast is helping. Either way, thanks for the advice and the chuckle

0 Kudos