cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Depression and Schizophrenia

Smokers may be at greater risk of depression and schizophrenia, study finds - CNN 

"A team of researchers led by scientists from the University of Bristol in the UK has added weight to growing evidence that smoking can have a negative effect on mental health.
Rather than simply looking at whether the smokers had a genetic predisposition to depression or schizophrenia, the researchers used genetic data to examine cause-and-effect relationships with smoking,
"Individuals with mental illness are often overlooked in our efforts to reduce smoking prevalence, leading to health inequalities," the study's lead author, Robyn Wootton, said in a statement.
"Our work shows that we should be making every effort to prevent smoking initiation and encourage smoking cessation because of the consequences to mental health as well as physical health."
Scientists studied data from 462,690 individuals of European ancestry using an approach called Mendelian randomization.
This involves identifying genetic variations associated with a trait, such as depression or schizophrenia, and then testing for those variations against an exposure, like smoking, in a group of subjects.
This allows researchers to examine whether this relationship is causal."
Read More: 
Please don't let your mental health issues prevent you from quitting! Mental Health is only an obstacle if you believe it is an obstacle. I have Major Depressive Disorder and quit smoking 10 years ago. It is definitely worth it! 
LLAP!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
sweetplt

I was diagnosed after having a brain aneurysm and surgery with general anxiety disorder...I still live with one aneurysm not fixed...yet I was able to quit smoking...in fact, since quitting I am working on my GAD...Happy Friday Thomas

~ Colleen 396 DOF 

0 Kudos
indingrl

CONGRATS 10 YEARS Thomas - WAY TO GO - Yahooooooooooo - as for ME - please I am talking about ME - NOT anyone else - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be helpful is MY only aim - thank you -  it is wriiten for ME - I have the MIND of Christ - TODAY - I will NEVER TAKE ONE PUFF EVER - in MY Lord Jesus name amen - I pray to THINK first - and ask MYSELF questions - TODAY  - what am I trying to escape ........will sucking on DEATH STICKS - AGAIN HELP ME ????  hmmmmmm- God gave ME a BRAIN - I will use it and play that sucking on death sticks tape-  all the way THROUGH - I must CHOOSE to go THROUGH MY - pain - no matter what life on life's terms throws at ME - in MY moments of - MY day - I run to God FIRST and pray - MY pray cry to God - HELP - and God answered by letting ME educate MYSELF - TODAY -  by reading YOUR blogthanks brother Thomas - in HIS love I love YOU in Jesus name amen 

0 Kudos