cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Aprildawnxoxo

My goodbye letter to smoking.

Dear Smoking,

As I write this letter, I realize the impact you've had on my life. In a week, I'm choosing to break free from our long-standing connection for the sake of a healthier pregnancy. Being 10 weeks pregnant, the desire to be present for my children's future overwhelms any momentary satisfaction you've offered.

The memory of my mother's premature departure at 49, likely due to complications from smoking, serves as a stark reminder. I'm determined not to follow in her footsteps. The thought of providing a different legacy for my own children propels me towards this decision.

Financially, your grip has strained my resources, with each pack costing close to $10. The realization that this money can be better spent on creating a secure and nurturing environment for my growing family adds to my resolve.

I embark on this journey not just for myself, but for the precious life growing within me and the ones I'll be responsible for nurturing. It's time to set a new example, one of resilience, health, and the unwavering commitment to a brighter, smoke-free future.

Sincerely,
April Y.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
biscuit9

@Aprildawnxoxo   Oooh I understand your feelings on this.  I strongly urge you to put your baby first, and get this addiction out of your life, once and for all.  I have been there where you are and I chose my baby, as I had miscarried a few mos. before.  Choose life and health, you won't regret it.  I had 3 uncomfortable weeks (for me), but once that passed I never looked back and my children were raised in a nicotine free home and none of them smoke cigs today.  

Becoming a mother changed me and I understand those feelings you are having.  USE those feelings to quit this addiction.  I walked in to the drs office a smoker and walked out a nonsmoker.  The reason is, I could picture me putting a lit cig up to my baby's face and I just couldn't smoke anymore.  That vision stopped me cold and no matter the craving, I couldn't smoke.  

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @Aprildawnxoxo! My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team.  I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! The community is very supportive so please reach out and let us know if you need anything. You may find our Daily Pledge page helpful to make a commitment not to smoke on a day-by-day basis. Posting there will also bring visibility to your journey to others who take the pledge daily. Please continue to reach out!

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos