cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

RainbowHeart

Does anyone have first hand advice?

Jump to solution

So I had my virtual therapy appointment today, and kind of out of the blue she said she would be willing to refer me to someone for an ASD screening if I wanted. At first I thought no way, but I've been thinking about it and want to get opinions from people who have been through it themselves.

For context, I'm a 52 year old AFAB non-binary person with an AMAB sibling diagnosed with ADHD in childhood. Thank you for any insight you have 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
valenw

hi friend! i, an afab trans-masc, was diagnosed very recently. i think it was really helpful to gain insight to the issues/ obstacles i've been dealing with for my whole life. i learned that a lot of the "differences" i felt from the people around me stemmed from autism. for years and years, i masked my autism, and it's resulted in burnout in adulthood. i also went to get diagnosed at the suggestion of a previous therapist. it's super affirming. i also gained a lot of insight into other things i struggle with bc the neuropsychologist that i saw did a detailed assessment and included other diagnoses that i hadn't known about, i was aware of a lot of my mental health issues before the assessment, but it helped me to better understand my current-at-the-time diagnoses and explained a lot about experiences, thoughts, and feelings when receiving my new diagnoses. 

it was pretty expensive but i do feel that it was worth it. if you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to reply and i'll do my best to explain.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
valenw

hi friend! i, an afab trans-masc, was diagnosed very recently. i think it was really helpful to gain insight to the issues/ obstacles i've been dealing with for my whole life. i learned that a lot of the "differences" i felt from the people around me stemmed from autism. for years and years, i masked my autism, and it's resulted in burnout in adulthood. i also went to get diagnosed at the suggestion of a previous therapist. it's super affirming. i also gained a lot of insight into other things i struggle with bc the neuropsychologist that i saw did a detailed assessment and included other diagnoses that i hadn't known about, i was aware of a lot of my mental health issues before the assessment, but it helped me to better understand my current-at-the-time diagnoses and explained a lot about experiences, thoughts, and feelings when receiving my new diagnoses. 

it was pretty expensive but i do feel that it was worth it. if you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to reply and i'll do my best to explain.

RainbowHeart

I have an appointment with a neuropsychologist in June, it was scheduled last summer but I am on Medicaid so things take a while. It was originally scheduled when I had some neurological symptoms and started a medical journey with no end in sight. 

I'll admit I'm kind of a technology nerd, but when I left therapy I reached out in 3 ways: A text to a good friend who just happens to be a therapist, a post here, and I asked chat gpt to make a pros and cons list of getting the assessment done. Thank you for responding 🌑