cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

blur

Multiple Addictions

Welcome to life smoke free. Its a bitch at first but gets better. I am 8.5 years sober and clean. Check in often here and other websites some are more busy than this. Stay positive. I went to my first  A.A. meeting a lil over 25 years ago to get the sobriety I got now. If you dont get it the first time keep trying.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
49 Replies
debbieme

Good morning!  Happy Monday to everyone!!  My quit date is May 22nd and I am getting a little bit excited. Nervous too, but more excited!  I want to be a non-smoker again and I know I can do it if I do what I need to do.  I think I am going to try the 12 Steps with my smoking addicition.  Why not?  It worked for my alcohol problem!   Has anyone used the steps to help quit smoking?  If so let me know how it worked for you! 

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!! 

Debbie

0 Kudos
fixabone

What a great group. This weekend I celebrated 15 years sober. Never smoked in my life till I quit drinking. That was when all AA meetings were smoke pits. Having the additive personality we do... I started smoking. Last week was 7 months smoke free. How many things will we have to quit?  One day at a time! Just don't smoke today. We Can do it!

0 Kudos
phillytom

Hi,  New member.  Quit drinking about 2 1/2 years ago but picked up cigarettes again a month after rehab.  Time to stop.  Quit date is 8/4.  Enlisted my sponsor's help.  Just another damn addiction with all of the associated feelings of guilt, shame and stupidity.

0 Kudos
angie46

i was wandering why my previous post on here was deleted? my last post helped some1 and they e-mailed me telling me what an inspiration i was 2 them and i was just looking back and my post is gone

0 Kudos
katheen

i do have several additions most of which i have been able to quit. the smoking has been one of the hardest to do for me.

0 Kudos
quitter1-5

i thought i was one of the only one who would even attempt to quit "everything." I am knowing now that quitting smoke means i can quit other hazordous behaviors as well. Its been over a few weeks and my using has ceased. I still have craving but quitting smoke was difficult. Wanted to be clean more than anything. Great group to write with!

0 Kudos
Deena-A-Yenni

My drugs of choice were tobacco, herb and alcohol.  I've quit all three now for almost 12 days.  The alcohol and herb were a few days before the tobacco.  My mind is free and clear due to this decision and the extra water intake helps tremendously in all areas.  I've also lost three pounds in a weeks time.  Feeling really good about my decision to get clean.  I feel better than I've felt in years.  I haven't had a strong craving yet but two small possible slips that I handled well.  I wish you all strength and endurance for the upcoming days.

0 Kudos
Deena-A-Yenni

I had a very anxious day today.  No real cigarette cravings but now that I finally put in a piece of nicorette gum I'm doing better.  Guess I needed a little boost.

0 Kudos
roni7

Looking back on a memory 45 yrs. ago when I was a kid. My dad was a 3 pack a day guy. I remember becoming so car sick every time he lit up. Oh how I would grumble to myself saying "I'll never smoke"! Well here I am, 55 yrs. old & have been smoking for 38yrs.There are so many reasons why I want to quit.                                                          #1 being is doing it for myself.   #2  I want to be an OLD Granny, for now I am a young Grandmother of 2.  #3  Due to my recent health issues, COPD, though it is far from being too late. #4  Money      And the list goes on.....but will not bore y'all.                                 BTW......my dad is still very much alive & is very active at the age of 79. He use to smoke Camel...BEFORE and after they were made with the filter                                                   I started taking Chantix  3 days ago and I have been weaning myself off smoking each day. I normally smoke anywhere from 1 pack to 1 1/2 packs per day, depending on the day. I have been sticking to smoking a 1/2 pack for the past 5 days.

0 Kudos
cathy90

My first husband had a problem with drugs, I was never addicted to drugs, but I did attend AA, Alanon, NA, Narcanon, helped him through 3 rehabs, I never understood, why someone couldn't just say no. I have the knowledge from the 12 Step Program and I've used it with a lot of situations during my life.  I remember people saying that it was easier to give up drinking and drugs compared to cigarettes. Makes me wonder just why is it so powerful? I much rather see others getting straight and living a normal life. He ended up getting a hold of a bad drug and it killed him. He didn't overdose, I wonder what  that bad drug had in it, cigarettes have over 4,000 I imagine it could have been some of these. Yet I never compared cigarettes to illegal drugs, and they turn out to be worse and most of us don't even like them.  Very powerful.  I am only on day 6, but I am ready for the fight,  This may turn out to be the biggest fight in my life, and believe me I've been through quite a few battles.

0 Kudos