cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

blur

Multiple Addictions

Welcome to life smoke free. Its a bitch at first but gets better. I am 8.5 years sober and clean. Check in often here and other websites some are more busy than this. Stay positive. I went to my first  A.A. meeting a lil over 25 years ago to get the sobriety I got now. If you dont get it the first time keep trying.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
49 Replies
izajenius

4 years sober ...but today is first day I quit smoking,  patch is giving me a bit of a headache. I'm gonna hang in there for sure though.

0 Kudos
missjudy

I have a gambling habit that I am trying to quit as well as the smoking as I feel  the two go strongly together...I want the smoking to quit first as I was told I had emphazyma..Every time I go gambling is when I light up over and over.

0 Kudos
ray11

Hi everyone, Well, I left Ex for awhile, still smoking.  My question is for gosh sakes when does the symptoms and craving for oxycontin ease up? By way only quit on Feb1,2010. I don't so much crave the drug as the fact it took away the physical pain, and it made the day bearable; now its 24 hours of hell.    Any Help?

I had drather be back on the oxycontin if this is what I have to look forward to!

Ray

0 Kudos
parker2

Day 17 and still smoke free and sober!! the patch has been giving me a headache when I fist put on.

The cravings and the urge are ALOT better that they were. I feel really good, I have wanted to do this for so long!

I am really pumped to be able to say I am a non smoker!! I quit drinking a year ago and I feel if I can do that,

I can do anything I decide to do!!!

0 Kudos
ray11

Hi everyone, thanx for all the support!  Think my saving Grace on the oxy addiction was, I was not that heavy a user. Started out with a mva that damaged my lumbar spine; Drs. said would never ride my horses again--who listens to Drs right?  So in 2007 I was on my Stallion, no tack and when he took off I was not holding on so just sat there!Broke left arm in 3 places, seperated wrist from arm, etc, etc. so back on oxycontin. I did not hit the streets to get more. Stuff did make me an ABSOLUTE ASS! MEAN!

Anyhow, am handling it. And I fixed it to where I shall not be given anymore pharmaceutically; told my pain management Drs. I was an Addict! Course they flagged my name on computer so I will not be given anymore from any doc. I can handle doing without any and withdrawing, but if an oxy is around I Will take it!

Again, Thanx for the support

RayD

0 Kudos
ngimbal23

Hi all, Nate, Alcoholic here.  And never really had it so good.  Sober a while and now it's to give up smoking.  I am in the "want to want to quit" stage, I think.  I know i should and now have 2 little girls I don't want growing up with a sober smoker.  My concerns are centered around "hitting a bottom" in smoking.  When that happened in drinking I had no option but to put the drink down and listen to those in AA, it was do or die.  I'm having trouble finding the desire to quit smoking, (or the fear of not smoking).  I am working through the program here though, tracking the cigs at the moment. 

It is so great, though to find a forum where I find I am not the only one, I'm not that unique! 

0 Kudos
pam-p

Hey, you all.  I'm new to this group.  I'm a recovering alcoholic (11 years sober), and addict (going on 7 years clean).  Now it's time to stop smoking, so I live to breathe another day!  I have a friend who has COPD and is on oxygen.  She trying to quit smoking but is having a really hard time.  I love this person, and seeing her when she is unable to breathe, really scares the hell out of me.  I don't want to end up fighting for a breath.  So here I am, on my third day, surprisingly calm, but craving a cig like crazy.  I use the Commit lozenges, which last for 2 hours or more, but are only 2 mg. 

I was in a group for people from the Pacific Northwest, but the last posting from that group was more than 10 days ago.  Hope you don't mind if I chime in once in awhile.

Take care, everyone, and good luck Becoming an Ex!

Pam P

0 Kudos
joani-breathe

Cool to find this group!

In 2007 I had 19 Years sobriety in AA.  I lost sight of many things due to not having a good human support system and being angry with my higher power over the loss of ... well everything...and I was sober.  So I picked up a drink.

I have had various amount of sober time since 2007, I am back in meetings, but I have yet to make 1 year.

Smoking is an extension of all the reasons I drank, so I am trying to give this up again as well.

I know I can not do either with out the steps, trust in the great universe of love and human support.  I know because I have tried.

Hope to chat with others in recovery!

All be blessed in this moment, in this day!

Peace.

0 Kudos
candylance

Just got back from a meeting and now can't sleep. 5 days without a cigarette. It's sooo much harder than quitting the booze. I have COPD and have to quit. AA and the steps help a lot, especially 1-3. I am totally powerless over nicotine and breathing in that soothing smoke that's killing me.  It's great to have so much supportl

0 Kudos
candylance

Boy , do I need a cigarette! WRONG!!! We are remodeling our house. They pulled up all the tile floors-kitchen, hall, baths- and what did they find-- black mold everywhere. I'd like nothing more than a stiff drink and a cigarette. Know that wouldn't help me or my husband, who is trying very hard to quit smoking,and he already has 23 years of sobriety. Puts my 10 months to shame, but I'm proud. Please keep in touch. I have a mask on, and we will probably stay in a motel tonight. Can't smoke in a motel, so I'm safe. I have serious allergies--getting 2 shots twice a week. Biggest culprit--mold and mildew. Candy

0 Kudos