cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mark_k

Mental Health Support

Linda, first of all... Congratulations! You're doing great for yourself and I hope that the road is smooth from here on out with only minor bumps along the way. I'm hoping that after a while we'll be able to walk past people smoking and turn around the 'if only I could' attitude into a 'if only I could help them like so many had helped me'. Oh, and lest I forget.... I wanted to tell you... 'mentally challenged', though very PC isn't as fun as how I like to consider phrasing it... try 'social underdogs'... everyone loves an underdog and it makes people smile! (Admit it... you just smiled... at least a little bit) 😃
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
200 Replies
angie46

can any1 tell me how 2 put a pic on here

0 Kudos

ENLESSDREAMER   crying at the drop of a hat is a symptom of depression and anxiety, but it is also a sign of nicotine withdrawal, in which case it will only get better with time. I might have to go back on meds after years and years of none, but i'm gonna give it some time to see if it's just withdrawal. depending on how bad it gets. good luck!!

0 Kudos
laura109

Hi everyone,

My name is Laura and I want to stop smoking again. My plan is to do the patch again cause it worked for me before. I quit over 2 years ago for 8 months and then started smoking again. The only problem I have is when I first quit my anxiety goes really high for about 4 to 5 days. Wonder if anyone can help me with that. Quit date is soon so want to get some suggestions first. I do work from home and have to deal with all types of people which puts me on the phone most of the day.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
angie46

5 months ago I quit smoking weed and feb 7th it will b 3 months i quit smoking cigs. I am having a real hard time with all this. 4 so many years i have numbed all my bipolar symtoms with weed and cigs. Now Im reall emotional and dealing with all my emotions i have had shoved away 4 all these years. I have hit a BIG bout of depression and have had some anxiety. Sometimes i get real bitchy and my moods have been swinging hard. 1 min Im fine the next min Im crying and idk why and sometimes im crying and i do know why.This is extreamly hard 4 me and i dont seem 2 find much support in most of these groups. I have found 1 group on this site that is somewhat active but this is the 1 I need the most cause some of this I cant post in normal groups people just wouldnt understand. IDK if all my emotional stuff is coming from being off the weed or the cigs. Does any1 else have any issues with this? What about the mood swings? is this all normal 4 quiting smoking cigs? I didnt start having 2 much trouble til just here within the last couple weeks. I also have thought a lot about suicide a lot here lately. It seems like a lot of shit has been happening lately and im feeling kinda overwelmed and usually when things overwelm me or i get stressed out i smoke more cigs. could this b why im having so much trouble?
0 Kudos
wise60

I am reading a book called 'Out Of The Ashes" and depression is a good part of quiting. It seems when you read other blogs your not alone. When I decided to quite I thought I was the only one in the world that had anger, depression, irritable. All part of the problem with quiting and getting the nicotine out. Bu, think positive, take control and tell yourself I could smoke, but I choose not to..

In the blogs there are so many bloggers out there that have the knowledge and you are not alone. You could toak to your Dr., maybe.

0 Kudos
sheri3

This is my 3rd or 4th time trying to quit. The patch has helped me. I haven't had a cigerette in 8 days.  I do take it off 3 hours before bed (because of the dreams).  I put it on the minute I wake up. My biggest downfall right now is my husband & I are quitting together. I'm pretty Ok with it. Except yesterday it seems my husband has become a mean & hateful person. He's usually the most wonderful man I've ever met. Not sure where I'm going from here. Will continue to try! BUT..... The saddnes that comes with that just makes me want to chuck it all and smoke.

Any comments are welcome. I could use some support.

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Hang in there Sheri...you really need to get off the patch...as long as you are getting nicotine in your system, you are still addicted and this is just dragging it out.  Nicotine leaves your body in 12 hours and you are completely free of it in 3 days.  The rest is all mental.  I had a wild surge of energy and was bouncing off the walls.   I kept busy at work and cleaned my house like crazy!  I was also a bitch.  So, give your husband some time....my boyfriend put up with me and I had wild mood swings...that should all be over with in a few weeks.  This is all part of the process.  If you want to learn more, try reading Allen Carr's book on How to Quit Smoking the Easy Way.  It helps de-brainwash  your mind from all the myths of smoking that you have picked up over the years.  Stay the course, you will feel so much better for it.....I know I do!!

0 Kudos
sheri3

Thank you for your words of encouragement!  They helped tremendously, I'm very high strung and a clean freak. So reminding me of things I like, rather than obsessing about  what I'm doing without is also very helpful. One thing, I find it hard  to get back to this particular place to converse with all of you. Is this a GROUP? If so may I join? How would I go about that. Or would you even think of including me?  Any tips are welcomed.  Thank all of you for your comments and support. I'm glad to have found you. Still moving forward thanks to you!!

Sheri

0 Kudos
jeanie4

Hello, I'm new to the group.  I have bipolar II, and PTSD.  I've tried to quit 3 times in the last  year and have failed.  One time my anxiety was off the charts and I started smoking.  The next 2 times, about 16 days into the quit, I would get major depression.  Wondering if someone with bipolar can really quit.  At this time I am cutting down on cigs.  I'm down to 15 from 30 and have a plan to keep going.

0 Kudos