cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mark_k

Mental Health Support

Linda, first of all... Congratulations! You're doing great for yourself and I hope that the road is smooth from here on out with only minor bumps along the way. I'm hoping that after a while we'll be able to walk past people smoking and turn around the 'if only I could' attitude into a 'if only I could help them like so many had helped me'. Oh, and lest I forget.... I wanted to tell you... 'mentally challenged', though very PC isn't as fun as how I like to consider phrasing it... try 'social underdogs'... everyone loves an underdog and it makes people smile! (Admit it... you just smiled... at least a little bit) 😃
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
200 Replies
bigmak

Hello, everybody!  I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II, after going ten years with a monopolar depression diagnosis.  The new diagnosis came a couple of years ago, after I had taken an SSRI for about ten years.  I take clonazepam (generic Klonopin), which was originally prescribed for panic attacks (my version of mixed state/hypomania), which for me, instead of lasting half an hour, can go on for hours, and even days -- no, I'm not kidding.  They tend to leave me, well, a bit exhausted.  Otherwise, i'm considered extremely "high functioning," which is to say that you could live with me for months on end and not know what I'm going through, because I keep it to myself.

Oh yeah, and I smoke.  My chosen quit date is January 2nd.  I've quit before -- the longest period having been for 14 years -- and I usually do best on Saturdays, for some reason.

Of two things I am certain:  There is no "sustitute" for a cigarette.  This doesn't mean that people shouldn't use whatever gets them through (chewing gum, straws, candy, and the like), but I've always found it helpful not to try and coax myself into thinking that I'm not giving some thing up.  It's just that what I'm gaining by quitting is so much better, in the long run.  The other thing I know is that smoking doesn't make me "feel good" -- it's only a way to dodge the rotten feelings that spring up when I'm deprived of nicotine, in the short term. 

I found this out the hard way last summer.  I had gone sixteen days, cold turkey, and had a mixed-state episode that was keeping me up in the wee hours of the morning.  If any of you Bi-P's out there have experienced this sort of "agitated depression," you know what hell it can be.  There are two other smokers in this household, so there were cigarettes around.  It didn't take much for me to convince myself that I would settle down if I just had one or two.  I didn't.  I ended up taking one problem -- the mixed state episode -- and turning it into two -- I was in a mixed state AND once again a smoker.

Anybody out there try impulsive quitting on a regular basis?  Been there, done that, literally hundreds on times.  This time, as in my more successful past attempts, I'm planning this sucker this time.  So it's January 2nd.  I may move the date up to december 26th; the effects of smoking on me are worse than they are for most people (i.e., I'm actually allergic to smoke, so I have asthma attacks and even the skin where I hold the cancer stick gets irritated), so I'll take the time to see if I'm ready.

A long intro, no?  Well, brain disorders do complicate things.  Best of luck to everybody out there!

0 Kudos
bobbie11

I've had depression symptoms practicaly all life, but there was such a stigma, I wasn't diagnosed.  About 5 years ago,  I was diagnosed a a rapic cycling bipolar, with depression as the biggest part, and OCD and anxiety.  When I'm very depressed, I usually just lay around and read or watch TV and smoke.  When I'm hypomanic (which seems to be under control with meds) I'd smoke even more, because i was on "fast speed".

Barbara Wilson, thanks for saying " I think with depression it's so easy to say, "I don't care if I smoke" and we relapse because sometimes depression makes it hard to care about anything. Espically taking care of ourselves. Another form of self-damaging behaviors as my shrink would say."  Exactly how I feel, and my shrink says the same thing!

Good thoughts go out to everyone who's challenged by the situation life has dealt them.  We can do it - I know it!

0 Kudos
naenae

Hi, I joined become an ex quite a while ago...but never followed through. Now I'm back and I want to do this for good this time. My quit day is 2/24/2010, my 45th birthday. I started taking Welbutrin to "help stop smoking", but really I had to admit that it was for my depression, I also take Prozac. About 23 years ago, a doctor told me that if I didn't get on some type of medication for my depression, he was afraid I would become suicidal. I didn't do anything about it then, or then next 3 or 4 times a doctor reccommended medication for me. I've always viewed that as a weakness, having to take a pill to be "normal" like everyone else. Well, since then, I have been hospitalized over 1/2 dozen times for anxiety/panic attacks. Pain so severe, they thought I was having a heart attack. Thankfully, there is nothing wrong with my heart, and again, I was told I needed medication for my "condition". I was also told numerous times to quit smoking, yeah right, that'as what I do for stress! So now, reluctantly, I am taking the medication. It doesn't help me with my nicotine cravings, but I am feeling a little better.

Thank you for allowing me to join your group and tell my story. I'm glad you are out there!

Rene'e

0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback that i received the other day. Tomorrow will mark a major anniversary. I will have two years off of the cigs. That's not counting the 42 cigs that I have smoked since Jan 1st 2008. This has been one hell of an experience. Having smoked crack cocaine and god knows what else for years, this surely seems to the hardest. Starting tomorrow I am going to start keeping a chart of when I take the Nic loz, how bad do I need them and what mood I am in. Then maybe I can see a pattern developing.  I am also keeping track of the cost of the Nic Loz.  I realize that it is still nicotene but at least I am not inhaling the thousands of other chemicals that come in smoking a cig.  I am determined to be totally nic free within the next few months. Might have to go see a counselour in the end. When you start drinking at 10, doing drugs at 13 and then smoke for 27 years, it is hard to deal with so called reality.  For those who are just starting out; go to www.cancer.org and ck out the quitline. The site also has a lot of information about cancer, quitting and more.  Take care and I will keep in touch.

0 Kudos
bobbie11

Still trying in 10, I know exactly what you mean. I'm a year and a half off prescription pain meds, and it seems like it was a breeze compared to the cigs, and I had quite a habit.  Wonder why that is?  Oh, well, I keep thinking that if I can quit one addiction, I can use the tips I learned to quit the cig habit.  Good luck to you, and I think  your idea of keeping a log is a very good one. Like you said, maybe there are triggers you can track that you couldn't without a lot.  Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
patisready

Hi to all, This is my first time to this sight, I've registered, and am ready. But there is a small part of me that doesn't want to quit and I can't think of one reason to keep smoking. I am a recovering addict, 20 years +. I know if I did that, I can definitly quit smoking. I'm affraid I want be able to do it.

0 Kudos

hi everyone. I'm new here and trying to find what works for me. I have PTSD.... depression, anxiety disorder.  I haven't had to take meds since I was divorced (12 1/2 years ago) but since I started to quit smoking (1 cig a day since Dec. 27th after over 20 years at about 2 packs a day) my anxiety is through the roof. The depression I use to get was agrivated depression (basically really anger based/supressed depression) and its coming back. Scares the hell out of me, but I'm not letting it stop me from sticking to this. Even when I feel like I don't care about myself, I can't stop caring about my kids and they're my reasons to quit. Any advise on how to stop pacing and start sleeping without resorting to medication is more than welcome!!! Divorce was easier than this... giving birth (3 c-sections) was easier than this. Sometimes (about every 20 minutes) I think I'm on my way to a psych ward. I'm not use to feeling like this but going back to cigarettes is not an option.

0 Kudos

I smoked for ten years, quit several times within that timespan, and have currently not smoked for 8 days. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety but, prior to quitting smoking, I was weaned off of my meds by my doctor. Things were going GREAT! But then I decided to take it one step further and quit smoking. Ever since I have been exceptionally emotional, irritable, and am able to cry at the drop of a hat. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

0 Kudos
angie46

my 1st day quiting was the hardest i had an anxiety attack my 1st day and took a xanax and was knocked out 4 awhile

0 Kudos
angie46

chewing straws really works 4 me as well

0 Kudos