cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mark_k

Mental Health Support

Linda, first of all... Congratulations! You're doing great for yourself and I hope that the road is smooth from here on out with only minor bumps along the way. I'm hoping that after a while we'll be able to walk past people smoking and turn around the 'if only I could' attitude into a 'if only I could help them like so many had helped me'. Oh, and lest I forget.... I wanted to tell you... 'mentally challenged', though very PC isn't as fun as how I like to consider phrasing it... try 'social underdogs'... everyone loves an underdog and it makes people smile! (Admit it... you just smiled... at least a little bit) 😃
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
200 Replies

I'm relieved to see some people posting in this group. I think with depression it's so easy to say, "I don't care if I smoke" and we relapse because sometimes depression makes it hard to care about anything. Espically taking care of ourselves. Another form of self-damaging behaviors as my shrink would say.

I keep relapsing in my quit. I go for a day or two or sometimes even 5 days without smoking and then give in. Who cares if I smoke, right? I really don't have anyone to answer too but myself and I'm not good with the whole self-discpline thing.

Anyways, I'm here, I'll keep trying.

0 Kudos
sharon.b

I am quitting again this evening. I have enough to last me to bedtime then plan to wake up to none. Am taking mom shopping (I live with my folks) as soon as we get up so I can't smoke then and she will keep me busy all day then I have church tomorrow night so that is one busy day down. If I get upset I plan to come back here. I did try one day this week and it worked for about ten hours. I have to quit I had a physical and my doctor said he heard a bit of noise and said quit now.  That in itself should do it for me you'd think. I do so want to stop though so I am going to do whatever I have to do. I suffer from depression and anxiety (mostly anxiety I can be quite the worrier).  Anyway if you want add me as a friend I could use some online friends...Sharon

0 Kudos
dmickow

Hi!  I just joined today. Going to give this website a shot.  I was on another forum when I quit last January and now I can't remember my sign-on name or password....lol!  Anyways...seen this on the commercial last night while watching a movie

I have no med. ins. so I applied for assistance today on line.  A low/or no cost assistance for hopefully chantix.

I also have been diagnosed with depression....can't get my perscription filled though till I can get some help.  I'm trying right now to do this cold turkey......very hard.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Going to get out of the house for awhile with my daughter.......

0 Kudos
jthomas

New to this site....Quit smoking for 13 years and in June of this year for some stupid reason (which I knew better) took a puff of a cigarette...within 5 minutes I was at the store buying a pack.  Now I am trying to quit again but am finding it harder than ever.  just keep telling myself that I did it for 13 years I can do it again.  Need to set a quit date, put changes into place and do it.  Nice to know I am not alone and there are people to talk to...Thanks

0 Kudos
maggiem

I am a college student, and not only does heart problems and alcoholism run in my blood, so does depression and anxiety. Smoking has become a part of my identity and who I am over the course of high school. My parents were upset that I started smoking, but after years of them telling me to stop, we all realized that that wasn't going to stop me. So now, smoking is something that I do constantly. I spend so much money on cigarettes, but to me, it's just worth it. It's worth the buzz that I can still ahcieve, it's worth those few minutes alone to myself, its worth the sense of relaxation that comes over me when I feel that nicotine. I love smoking. To make matters worse, I am young and healthy and it's easy to deny the health risks that I now have.... just because i'm an 18-year-old college student. But i've realized that smoking MAY be an addiction that helps to calm my nerves, but it isn't worth it. It's not. I want to be able to exercize and enjoy life for as long as I can... and I know that the road to feeling happy with myself will begin with kicking all of my destructive habits to the curb. I've quit drinking, but now i chain smoke like a fiend. I need to quit. 

goodluck to everyone.

0 Kudos

Hi there, I just joined this site about an hour ago after seeing the commercial ten times, i thought yea, I am trying to quit (unsuccessfully) so why not lol. I have 3 kids under 3, had c sections with all 3 kids so stuck in the hospital with all the nurses and stuck in bed with newborns I was fine, i would be in the hospital 4 days each time and not a single puff and then the second I get out I have to have a cig! Even when I would feel dizzy or sick to my stomach I would at leas take a puff and put it out but over the next few days just started back up again. My main problem I think is that every person in my family smokes...except my husband...who just gets annoyed and starts a fight when I light a cig, his main issue is the money especially since cigs have gone up in price. He uses guilt trips and tries to bribe me to quit which only makes it worse for me. I smoke all day every day, am out of shape and cant even run my treadmill for 10 minutes before running out of breath, sometimes I even wake up with my chest hurting and my lungs feel like theyll explode, I have found that the only way to relieve the pain in my chest is ummm to smoke a cig lol kind of like the hangover thing (i dont drink). I am in therapy for anxiety and stress so I am trying to better my life and I surely do not want my kids to grow up thinking its ok to smoke like I did. I am 26 yrs old and and have smoked for 10 yrs already, i started at 16, stealing my parents cigs, i was from a divorced family so I always had someone to go to bum cigs off or buy my cigs, now I see how wrong that was and what a bad example they made and I dont want to make that same mistake for my kids. I have tried to quit but only lasts half a day at most...my secret is to have my husband take my cigs to work with him BUT with resources like money and a car at home and time I just get over the hassle of loading ALL the kids to run to the gas station to buy another pack, theyve even made it that much easier since I have drive thru gas stations so i dont even have to go inside. Im at my wits end, we are always tsruggling financially and I spend probably over a hundred a month on cigs which could go to my kids college funds or shopping or going out someplace and then the guilt sets in again and I need to smoke. Im just here trying to find help for my problem becuase I really do think it is an addiction, I cant quit, I have every reason in the world to quit and yet I cant...my kids school even called to tell me she smelt like cigs and she had to come home for triggering asthma attacks in her special ed class. I even need to smoke when I talk about smoking or see a commercial about quitting. Im hoping to make some friends to stay in contact with since I have no support here in the real world.  Heres hoping I quit for my new yrs resolution once again.

0 Kudos
malone

hi im 19 in college and i smoke just at 3 packs a day i have for a long time and i dont kno its so hard to quit i went for 3 days thats as long as i can make it  but il have to say its comforting to see other ppl in my same spot i dont feel so alone now

0 Kudos
jacky2

Hi everyone! I am a heavy smoker. I have had anxiety and depression for 10 yrs and recently quit smoking for 22 days! It actually felt great but then one day I was just having a really awful day and thought one won't hurt! Well, smoking two packs a day again since does kinda hurt. Everyone in my home smokes, so I'm having a really hard time getting away from it. It seems aside from my family here at home no one else I know is going through this, so I feel really alone. I have enjoyed reading all of your comments and it does help me. Thank you everyone!

0 Kudos
sdraus

Hello everyone,  I have been smoking for 15 years and have anxiety issues.  Some nights I lay down in bed and think ok in the morning I am done smoking.   Before I can even know it, I have a cig lit and don't even realize it.  I totally forget that I had every intention to stop.  I know this is going to be tough but I want to do it for my family.  But not just them, I want to do it for ME! 

I have to do this but I even get anxiety just thinking about quitting.   

0 Kudos

In the last year I lost my son and was told I couldn't have kids, and I just had angioplasty on my 29th bday.  I have bipolar disorder and diabetes and no med insurance.  I'm not really healthy and smoking makes it worse!

0 Kudos