cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

minihorses

Isn't Mental Illness Fun While Becoming an EX!

I'm on my 4th day of this journey. It's not easy when it comes to me being bipolar. I hate myself and everyone around me, except my husband and kids. I've curled up under my mountain (I don't have a rock because they're too small and too easy get out of).  I don't have any friends anymore because I stopped talking on the phone a couple years ago due to health issues and my hearing is becoming worse and I'm constantly saying "Pardon me, I didn't hear what you said. Could you repeat that?" or "Please speak up" or "What was that? I didn't hear you". I had to stop going to church because of my health. I don't use facebook because I hate it nor use any other social media. It's a waste of time and I don't need to tell everyone I have as 'friends' everything I do. I don't post pictures except funny ones of my animals. So I lost my friends by my own doing I guess. I use email for conversations as I don't own or want a smartphone. All I had for a friend was smoking and now that it's gone I feel even more alone. This site it great but it doesn't help me when I want to 'light someone on fire' as it were. I fired my psychiatrist over a year ago and have yet to find another without having to travel at least 30 miles. I get my meds from my regular doc until I find one.  No, we are not having fun yet. All I can do is come to this site which I am very grateful to have found and use a favorite saying of ours, "I shall endeavor to persevere!" It's all I can do but my brain still wants its only friend back!  

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
45 Replies
bonniebee

I know you like to think of smoking as your buddy.... but really ? If it is such a great friend why quit ? I am sure you have many good reasons to quit ! That friend is really your enemy who is whispering sweet lies to you and trying hard to pull you back to your addiction when you are on your way to freedom . Please tell that so called friend which I call the nicodemon to get off your back ! Say "I don't do that anymore ! " I am glad you are blogging do not isolate can you get out to take a walk ? Exercise really helps with depression .sayings quit smoking 3.jpg

Giulia

I read your blog and my first thought was - Wow it's so full of negatives:  "It's not easy..  I hate...I don't have... I stopped talking...I stopped going...waste of time...don't use...don't post... doesn't help me..."  is it any wonder you aren't having any fun yet in this quitting process?!  And I was thinking Ellen's (Elvan's post) was dead on.  It sounded much like something I would have said to you in that heat of the moment of caring so deeply.  Sometimes us old timers need to rant BECAUSE we care so deeply.  Because we see excuses that the newbies simply don't and can't because they aren't educated enough to see them.  But WE do.  And we just want to riotously shake some sense into you.  

I don't presume to understand what it's like to be bi-polar.  But I don't think Ellen was trying to drill into your head not to smoke so much as she was saying - look at the excuses you're making to be unhappy with your decision.  Look at the excuses you're focusing on to be miserable.  Look at the excuses you're presenting that will allow failure.

We have to change our thinking when we quit smoking.  Because if we don't we'll be miserable forever.  Part of our quit journey is learning to change our thinking.  It's not just changing our patterns of behavior, eliminating the trigger places, it's really about changing how we THINK about smoking.  (That's why the Allen Carr book has such an impact on quitters.) You're still thinking about the act of smoking as being a friendly experience.  A comfort.  And there's no denying that smoking did provide us with a sense of comfort.  It made us feel good.  Smoking, after all, creates "feel good" things in our brains.  Fact.

But you're here because, presumably, you understand that smoking eventually kills us.  It's not good for us.  And you want to live longer and have a better quality of life.  That's the intellectual part of your brain speaking.  And also part of your emotional brain.  Because you've probably seen the effects of smoking on people you love.  And then there's also that part of your brain that remembers the first time you started and how awful it was.  And that's a fact too.  Cigarettes are poison.  Stop for only three days and then take a big inhale and it will make you dizzy and nauseous.  That's the fact that we need to pay more attention to.  Not the "oh how great it tastes" one. Because the latter is the lie and former the truth.

So - what's my point?  Listen to your own self-speak.  Listen to the words you are putting out to yourself (and to others).  And if you can perceive any negativity - try to change it.  We can't change anything until we first become aware of it.  I tend to be a very negative person, but I'm learning to at least see that negativity, catch it, and transform it.  Sometimes!  We are all evoluting from our own primordial tar filled ooze. 

Persevere.   

minihorses

No worries, we all have emotions and I'm generally an optimist but that day I was so sick physically and mentally it was hard to face myself and reality. I know who I am and I know my signs of ups and downs so I do a fairly good job keeping my BPD in check. The sun was back up and the mountain had been moved yesterday and am proud to be starting day 6!

Sandy-9-17-17

Nice job on day  6!  Congrats!

I don't tell my Facebutt friends everything I do,

I don't have a smartphone either. I feel the same as you

I have experienced real highs and felt some real lows

We're here to help you find your way and to help your quit grow.

minihorses

Finally! Another non-social media person!! (except for here of course)  Notice I have no name on my posts? I'm a 52 year old female and I really don't feel the need to put my life on display. I haven't even signed up for the medical portals, they can call me.  This is one of the two forums I use, the other being horse related.  See you around here later I hope

MarilynH

You can do this quit one precious smoke free day at a time or one hour, minute or even one second at a time but as long as you keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days WON you can and will be successful, congratulations on your awesome 6 glorious DOF. 

elvan

You DO realize that tomorrow, on day 7, you will have completed what we "affectionately" call Hell week! CONGRATULATIONS!

Ellen

TurboRose

minihorses Sending love, light and comfort. I hope you're able to find a way to maintain your quit. Being bi-polar may add an unexpected twist but not an insurmountable obstacle. 

Sandy-9-17-17

Just stopping by to say hi and hope you are doing well!  

Sandy