cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

mads

Inability to exercise due to being injury prone.

Hi all. I have EDS. To make a very long story short(ish) - I am very injury prone and have multiple joint dislocations a day. Most are bearable, some are excruciating. I have to get a surgery done on my jaw, due to it dislocating daily, however, I haven't yet fully healed from my shoulder reconstruction less than a year ago. I am  22 and very scared. I feel like I'm always waiting on "the next disaster."

I use nicotine to calm myself. I NEED to quit as I'm starting to get chest pains when I vape. I can't really exercise as a coping skill, so the best endorphin substitute is not feasible.

So, I'm reaching out to see if anyone here is injury prone as well. I want to know how you get your endorphins that can't be attained through movement. How can you get the benefits of exercise without causing injury?

Thank you kindly for the read, hope you are well.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mads The person that comes to mind for me is @elvan but her health has unfortunately kept her away from the community for a while. I'll try to do some searching and see if I can find anyone else who has some ideas for you. Glad you got a response to your other post on the same topic.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

https://www.google.com/search?q=eds+exercises

Pilates and Tai Chi could possibly work for you. I also see some videos with some suggestions.

Perhaps there are others on the site with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) who have some suggestions but just haven't mentioned their EDS.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
RainbowHeart

I don't have EDS, but laughter releases endorphins. So can aromatherapy and dark chocolate. I hope you can find some more answers.

0 Kudos
RainbowHeart

I just realized laughing might hurt you right now. I'm so sorry. One that almost certainly can help is lavender essential oil. Either through a diffuser or on your skin or clothes (some can't be used directly on skin, check first). Lavender for calming, rose for serenity, citrus for energy/focus. And if you can have dark chocolate, it only takes a little bit for an endorphin boost!

0 Kudos