cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

jonimarie

Did you get your Flu Shot Yet?

Question asked by Thomas3.20.2010 on Oct 7, 2017

It's that time of year! And this is a Great time to review when you had your last pneumonia shot! Since it's only every 5 Years it's easier to forget! These vaccinations save lives but even more important they make your Quality of Daily Living so much better! I don't mean to harp (too much) but it's very important!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
37 Replies

I got mine today. I'm afraid to look.

elvan

Getting mine at next appointment with primary care doc in two weeks.  

Giulia

Got mine a couple of days ago, figured it would be smarter than not, despite the rash.  However, they didn't have the extra heavy duty, old folks version because they were out of that serum, so I opted for the normal version and had hardly any reaction at all. Which is kind of interesting.  Makes me think it's the stronger dose that creates the reaction.  Pharmacist said I could take 2 ibuprofen after the injection, that it would probably lessen the reaction, but I chose not to.  

Just did a little research:  "In the largest of three clinical studies comparing high-dose and standard-dose flu vaccines, those who received the high-dose vaccine were more likely to develop side effects*, such as a fever and soreness at the injection site, during the week after vaccination." (*Emphasis mine.)  Fluzone High-Dose: What distinguishes it from other flu vaccines? - Mayo Clinic   

So I was right - the higher dose probably created the reaction.

0 Kudos
Kboyd66

Got mines over a month ago 

0 Kudos

I got the higher dose. Sore there for a couple days was all.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Guess it's just me and my body.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I get a skin reaction every time no matter what.

0 Kudos
Giulia

I guess some of us are more sensitive to the ingredients than others.  As the pharmacist told me - it's actually rather positive because it shows our immune system is really jumping in and that's why we get the flu shot in the first place, so our bodies put up the necessary antibodies.