cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

cheri

COPD

I am so glad to see a COPD group the only other person I know close to me with COPD is my mother and she was told this last year and this is all new for her, she never smoked but her Mother and Brother did and My Dad before they devoriced after 20 years. I have had COPD for about 5 years not have had 1 hospital stay for pneumona and COPD excerbation a few years back. My husband and I quick smoking on 11/23/2008 12:00 am that morning. 1st try for him and 3rd for me.
  Thanks for the group sure needed it
  Happy Thanksgining to all
  Cheri
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
261 Replies
webslave

btw....a Happy Easter to all...not to mention a very Good Friday.
0 Kudos
becka

well good morning all. I have been reading your posts about c.o.p.d. and it can be a bit disconcerting to hear some of the things ya;; are saying. I have not been given a diagnosis but have been placed on a nebulizer and a rescue inhaler as well. I think I probably have the disease because I am habing such a problem with breathing. I was surprised to hear webslave say that quitting smoking had little or no effect. I have heard that before but thank God in my case the 23 days I have invested in my quit has proven to have helped my breathing.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Well, I know I can breath better since I quit smoking, so no way would I ever give up my quit. It's just totally discusting to me now! I can't imagine compounding the problem by smoking, because it can't possibly be doing any good and I'm sure it would be causing more harm. I do have an Advair inhaler, but I've never used it. I just keep it for "just in case". Becka... you just keep on keepin' on with your quit. You've got to realize by now that you're feeling some better than before you quit. The only way to know if you have emphysema or COPD is to have a pulmonary function test like Linda just had and I had just before I quit smoking 7 months ago. We both found out we're "moderate". I had the test because I was getting so short of breath, I was breathing hard just making my bed. I had a bunch of heart tests which turned out fine, so then they proceeded to the lungs which scared me to death and that's why I quit right then, cold turkey.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hey All...Please don't miss the discussion that Sue posted above called "Day One". It's sure worth reading!
0 Kudos
becka

Tommorow will be day 30 for me. I can hardley believe it! In some ways it's getting easier for me and in others not so much. I thought tha if I made it this far that I would be over thewant to's well not really. I think of cigs through out the day and notice the triggers as they occur and keep on going. I am usin the patch at half strength but it seems to be working for me. The point is I am not as confident about keeping my quit as I thought I would be at this point. Ah well I can say that I am breathing some better. It's not all of a sudden I lost the disease I surely have, it's just that running up and down my 3 level cabin is getting easier. 🙂
0 Kudos
katheen

I have COPD and going in for surgery later this month and the Dr. said thhat I have to be smoke free for 2weeks before the surgery takes place and that is motavation for me to quit smoking. I have been wanting this surgery fro several months now and that is improtant to me so here I go again. Going ot see my OBGYN dr. on the 14 th of this month to see about the surgery and that is something that is what I've been wanting to do is be a non smoker. Day 2 for us but that may be it for nw but we can do this thing called no smoking and that is how it works for me at least.
0 Kudos
carole2

Hi everyone just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Carole and I have end stage COPD and am trying to get on Cleveland Clinic's transplant list now. I have had COPD since 1998. I tried everything to quit. Zyban was the best it helped me get down to 4 or 5 a day and I held that for like 5 years. But Chantix was my miracle . I am off everything now and in 2 months I will hit 1 year smoke free. July 25th 2009 is my anniversary. I slipped 3 times the year before. So started over and have not had even a sniff . I look forward to hearing your stories. I have a blog on my page which you can follow rgarding my transplant attempt.
0 Kudos
katheen

Nice to meet you Carol, and I hope that you can get that transplant done for yourself and that should help you I'm still struggling with quitting but I just keep on trying and my better half and I are doing this together so it's a hard one I'm curtintly taking the Chantex and that seems to be helping me but I'm still smoking almost as much so after this month I have just the month left and hopefully we'll be able to quit after that . Planning on that one tomarrow and then maybe that will do it for us have been trying now for several months and so far unsuccessful. I just know that I'm getting tired of trying and not succeding with every attempt. I'm going in for surgery for the reconstrucktive on the bladder this month but before they do that I have to be off the smokes for two weeks so that is where I'm at for now.
0 Kudos
doris_mccoy

0 Kudos
carole2

Hi Kathleen and thanks for the welcome. You need to pick a day and just start there now. You've been on the chantix long enough to start getting off the cigarettes. So come on let's pick a day. Cause you need that surgery it sounds like.
  hugs,
  Carole
0 Kudos