cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
Mandolinrain

it sure does look like it but I thought they needed to be closer to water?

0 Kudos
Giulia

I thought the same.

how close is the stream?

Mandolinrain

1/3 of a football field maybe?

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

I'm far from an expert at crayfish, but I once had a scientist identify our brilliantly blue crayfish as Upland Burrowing Crayfish (Cambarus dubius).  This species is one of the few that spends nearly all of its time underground (rather than living in a creek or pond), although the crawdads do come out at night to eat decaying organic matter and insects.

Idk, found in the link I posted. 

Barbscloud

We have two winners!

sweetplt

Missy Mandolinrain just read all these responses and for some reason I am itching as a ready about bees, wasps, moles, etc., ...lol.... 

Mandolinrain

HAHAHAHAHA

0 Kudos
Giulia

Reference to my post above about the White Faced Hornets Nest that we have taken from NY, to NC, to TN.  Thought I'd show a photo of it.  It really is a type of wonderful and awesome art installment to me.  This nest is about 20 years old.  It's made from chewed wood mixed with saliva.  It is used only for one season.  And it is amazingly sturdy.  These hornets feed on Yellow Jackets, among other things, and do a bit of pollination, so they're really not bad guys and gals.  

https://www.pestcontrolplus.biz/441/bald-faced-hornets-facts