cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
Legend

Mandolinrain   

LOL …. I bet your husband could find something cool to do with a drone like this guy did in the video.

Giulia

Ohhhhh you're allergic to bees.  Oh, that's a whole 'nother scenario.  In your case you can't be too cautious.  In mine, if I'm stung multiple times, (which I have been often)  just take an antihistimine, throw some ammonia on it and I'm good to go.  But wow, epi-pen time is serious stuff.  (I love your "Epic-Pens", that they really are!)

Mandolinrain

lol, typo  but i like epic better also!

0 Kudos
Legend

Mandolinrain   I thought it was called Epipen because that is what my aunt uses she is allergic to honey bees now she and my uncle have a honey bee farm and she got stung and had to go to the emergency room over a reaction she had but then you called it Epic-Pen so I thought maybe the name changed and I did not know it so I just called it what you did lol.

King1961

That’s a ground crayfish hole. 

Mandolinrain

Im thinking so too now

0 Kudos
Holli9193

It's a crawdad hole. I have them here especially in my ditches.

Mandolinrain

HOW can I stop them? Just one hole now but am scared friends maybe on the way.....  Holli9193

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

We have a winner!

anaussiemom

crawdad_hole.jpg
pinchy crawdad

They do not leave pretty holes!!

Crawdads, sometimes referred to as crayfish, usually hunt invertebrates, such as snails, mussels and worms. They have also been known to eat their own kind on occasion. If their preferred food sources are limited, crayfish feed on wood, roots or other types of plants. They also frequently scavenge for dead animals.

Crayfish in the garden