cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Rooting plants

My Ex, friend Pat aka :. IrishRose sent me this beautiful Oregano plant last year and I am rooting it now to get more and keep it going. I have all sorts of things started now. Forsythia, roses, lilacs, celery, lemon,spinach...etc....in the toilet rolls I have all kinds of stuff started from seeds from peppers to cutting flowers. I have stuff all over the house getting them seeded or ready to transplant later outside. I never use rooting compound cause I never have luck with it....so far everything’s rooting though, Happy Gardening! Below you can see my winter garlic has come up and will be ready to harvest in late June.:)

6CE0899C-C0C0-4529-A19F-5FE377AA8522.jpeg

FCC8C1F2-4D65-480C-B9A0-5E3E84260542.jpeg629D08A6-E9BB-434A-8160-3DEDF0B7B639.jpeg0E09FA5F-5628-47AC-8585-DD31CFD983E4.jpeg9671AFBA-2D4D-4C54-8F1B-CB9100AC094B.jpegD34B4EA4-CBB8-472E-92AE-44EEBD67CB90.jpeg7BB9C020-94EF-4727-AF91-EF5E4168DBD6.jpeg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
49 Replies
Mandolinrain

Yes Rose of Sharon divides easy. I usually do it late spring. I use  a spade shovel and split off as much as I want and sometime divide more off of the root . When you plant the transplant make the hole twice as wide as the root your putting in ...I like to put a little nice soil in the hole also. Water it and put some mulch around it. You can use fertilizer in the water, a little miracle grow. I usually never transplant or trim back anything until after blooming. But I have spliced the rose of sharons when they were budding. They are pretty hardy

0 Kudos
Giulia

You must have lots of glorious light in your home, Missy.  Love the toilet paper roll idea.  Will have to try that.  We rented a mini Mantis rototiller today.  So far we can't get it started.  Will try again tomorrow.  Aargh!

Mandolinrain

I dont really. I have my small studio which is off our muddy room that gets southern light so that where I root everything inside. My North windows have a few in them as well, more filtered light. Thats one area when we designed this house, we screwed up on the natural light. Due to where the septic had to be place, we had to turn the house a bit and that really changed up the lighting quite a bit. Good luck with the tiller.  Let me know if you end up liking it or not. I was thinking of getting a small one myself

YoungAtHeart

Depending on how much you need to till and how hard your ground is, a hand tiller might do the trick.  It is four pronged with spear teeth. You bang it in and then twist. If you wait until after showers, the ground takes very well to it.  I have done large patches of my yard at my age with it -then raked in compost to prepare for seeding.  I also cleared about 1/4 acre at one time when I was younger with it.  It doesn't appear they are still making it - but I did find one on e-bay:  GOLD GARDEN CLAW Cultivator Hand tiller Weeder Aerator | eBay.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

i have one of those and i do like it alot. I want a small motor one for area i want to work up that have alot of clay in them though.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

YoungAtHeart‌ , I want you to know that I have one just like that, and my husband bent it.  Are you believing that thing could be bent?????  That is one of my favorite garden tools.  It will till areas and snatch out hard to get weeds too.

Giulia

We've rented the Mantis before and I love it.  Just the right size for our garden which is like 23 X 28?  (Hand tiller wouldn't work for us, YoungAtHeart‌  Hard enough to get through the soil with the Mantis.)  I hear you about the light, Missy.  Whomever built our house build the porch on the North side, so it gets zero light.  I like all your miniature green houses.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

i really want pete to make something like this for me outside. i have some old windows. i may just try to make it myself, cant be that hard. i dont have any greenhouses. the toilet paper thing is on a cookie sheet with saran wrap over it, lol

th.jpeg

Mandolinrain

Has anyone ever had a sweet almond bush, i saw them at walmart. so pretty. i think i may go back and get a couple

Giulia

IrishRose  Wow, they take up a lot of space, don't they, those taters.  Never grown any myself.  Sorry that guy is eating up the lady bugs.  I know how beneficial they are for eating aphids.

Finally got the rototiller working.  Tried and tried again for a couple of hours and then husband called Lowes for advice on how to start it.  They said there was a guy there who would knew.  Transferred him.  Husband said he had rented this thing from Bluewaters.  The guy said he worked at blue waters and was this the man who came in the day before to rent the Mantis.  (My husband has a very recognizable voice.)  Long story short, the guy said, don't choke it, don't do what the video said.  Just prime it and then push the throttle button (which nobody had mentioned) and pull the chord.  Started right up.  Geez.  

He did a couple of rows and then I took over.  OMG I had forgotten how labor intensive it is to use that thing.  He has a bad wrist, so I did the majority of it.  Great workout for the upper body, shoulders, back, wrists, forearm and then pulling it towards you, the thighs and calves.  And of course the stomach.  Total body workout for about 4 hours.  I don't think I'll have any problem sleeping tonight.   But you can bet I'm gonna take a couple of Ibuprofen pms! 

Yesterday while weeding the bigger weeds (which the Mantis would not get through), I discovered a black snake (young, not quite quarter-size body, about 2 1/2 feet long) which I happily removed to a nearby log.  Today I saved a toad that I noticed trying to get away from the rototiller.  And a couple of spiders with egg sacks.  They're blue, which I never noticed before.

Cat caught another squirrel and literally brought it in and dropped it on my husband foot while he was eating lunch.  Fortunately this one was dead.  #5 so far.  We hired a guy several months ago to get rid of them - who had no luck - (because they ate our siding all over the place and then made a hole through our dormer) and we had the perfect catcher all along.  They're so beautiful, and it's sad.  But they have an entire forest to roam around and live in.  Our house is OFF LIMITS!

Hopefully tomorrow we can put up the pea and bean stakes and plant a seed or two.

Missy, you can make that mini greenhouse , you talented woman.  I have no doubt about it.  Go for it!