cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Garden

Todays things

22896754-61B6-4AEB-90F2-07BC70181BC6.jpeg

Garden pics and roses and green onions I started today in a shot glass. Sorry these pics are so big. I don’t know how to downsize them . We have loads of tomatoes but all green yet

3EABA820-60F1-4BE9-8015-A87AAC86299C.jpeg

D823B7EA-FAC5-4E3C-80B5-2F92028B57F5.jpegAC2E1BD0-3AFD-4D01-A329-98BF1D8E2026.jpeg43A31BF0-EC15-425F-ABE5-3159B1537E17.jpeg6352370F-A2EE-4D62-833E-9F3E3A8543D5.jpeg1C51534A-D8D5-4AE5-9596-B438BBE15AD3.jpeg

This last one below I am real excited about.....I bought some ginger root at grocery, soaked it overnight and planted it sorta like you do Iris. Did this two weeks ago and now a green shoot has finally appeared!

FF245F8B-B28D-4C71-BFCD-0E7AA6D93C70.jpeg

'

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
39 Replies
IrishRose

I had to give them a decent burial last year.  They were just too big to mash - would have created too much goo, so I fed them to my chickens.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

My yellow squash has not produced any fruit, just flowers and the plants are smaller than usual.  The zucchini plants are huge but the fruit is very slow coming.  Only two harvested.  Not sure.  Usually, there is an overabundance.  I keep saying gardening is an experiment. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Gardening  nightmare!

When I was a stay-at-home Mom (before my husband left) I had a 20' x 60' garden of raised beds.  One of my favorite crops was green beans.  After the second harvest from them, they would always get a bug that decimated them.  The "Good Earth Gardener" was on TV at the time - he was the forerunner of organic gardening.  For most critters, he recommended you harvest and squish the insects, put them in water in a bucket in the sun and make a tea out of them - then spray the plants.  I dutifully did as recommended, and STILL remember squatting with the spray bottle in hand and rubber gloves (oh, Lord, but that stuff STANK!) and doing all of the leaf undersides in the 90 degree heat. Pant after plant, leaf after leaf!  It was an AWFUL job - and did absolutely NOTHING!!!  ZERO!  Zilch! 

After I thought about it a bit, I realized the bugs didn't arrive until the second harvest ----- so finally figured out to plant TWO sessions of seeds - about four weeks apart.  By the time the first row of beans was infested, the second was producing beans.  By the second harvest when the bugs arrived, we were sick of green beans, anyway!

How does this relate to quitting smoking?  If one method doesn't work for you - give it some thought - another one will!!!

Happy gardening - those who still are!  I visit the farmers' markets now!!!

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ LOVE this.  I had someone tell me that to protect my roses from the bugs that were eating them, I should soak cigarettes in water in a spray bottle and then spray the roses.  No problem, I sure had lots of butts.  My roses were beautiful but they smelled like ashtrays.  NOT a nice outcome.

IrishRose

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JACKIE1-25-15

That is how I plant my green beans, in succession, there is always some to pick.  I never had a problem with bugs on the green beans I have more problems with bugs on the leafy vegetables. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Cool!  Just snooped this which you might find interesting:  Grow Turmeric and Ginger in Any Climate - Plant Profiles - Heirloom Gardener 

YoungAtHeart

I absolutely LOVE heirloom tomatoes.  Don't care if they aren't huge; don't care if the tops are kinda' strange - LOVE them!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Baseball anyone?

It's 13 inches long!  lol  Husband just picked it.  Ain't it amazing how they can hide, nonetheless.

Hornworms are incredibly destructive.  But amazing to look at.  I only had them on my tomatoes one year.  Took one and watched it pupate a couple of years ago.

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5083_1.JPG

IMG_5088.JPGIMG_5092.JPG  

IMG_5105.JPG

Mandolinrain

HOLY ZUCCHIN I BATMAN!

0 Kudos