SuzyQ411

TRIVIA : LOOSE ENDS on game for 4.4.23

THE DAKOTA FIRE HOLE HELPS AVOID WHAT?

1. High Temperatures
2. Carbon Monoxide
3. Smoke
4. Rain

(#3: Smoke)

The Dakota fire pit is an efficient, simple fire design that produces little to no smoke. Two small holes are dug in the ground: one for the firewood and the other to provide a draft of air. Because the air passes freely around the fuel, near complete combustion is achieved, and the result is a fire that burns strongly and brightly and with little or no seen smoke. The Dakota fire pit is a tactical fire used by the United States military as the flame produces a low light signature, reduced smoke, and is easier to ignite under strong wind conditions.

Source: Wikipedia

Yes @Barbscloud - your instincts were right: "The Dakota Fire Hole gets its name from the Native American tribe of the Dakota, who populated the area that is now North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota. It is generally regarded that they used this style of fire to combat the local windy conditions and avoid the potential of starting grass fires." ( Bushcooking.com)

2 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SuzyQ411 Interesting, I didn't know the origins of the concept. I am planning on making a smokeless fire pit based on the video below. I have a portable one that I got at Aldi some years ago that is a cheaper version of the expensive ones they sell at the chain hardware stores but I'm looking to make a permanent one. 

TRIVIA FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 4, 2023 - EX Community  

EX Community Admin Team
SuzyQ411

Cool @CommunityAdmin . Hope your DYI project runs more smoothly than this guy's did 😊

0 Kudos