cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanuaj

Osteoarthritis

Does anyone have any comments about osteoarthritis? Yes have it done n my joints. I have an appointment on the 28th. It will s painful. Love be to hear from others.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
33 Replies
elvan

I had to learn to alternate activity with rest periods and there was a time when that was really challenging...I just wanted to keep going.  NOW, with COPD, it's no longer a choice.  My body literally gives out when I have to rest and I HATE it but I understand.

I hope you get answers.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

A lesson I have YET to really take to heart!

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ You are like a mosquito or a hummingbird, they don't rest either.

❤️

Tanuaj

Laughing out loud! Yes. I have been a trucker a waitress and a mother of 4. Need I say more.

elvan

Maki

How does smoking affect Osteoarthritis , I'm sure smoking helps nothing . Osteoarthritis , I have it but have never researched it much tbh . I know being overweight likely would not help . I know it is painful . At the age of 40 I had both hips replaced . I know I was very active , an athlete in those days , and also a smoker . I know my mother had rhematoid arthritis , and I too have rhematoid , but mild to this point so perhaps a genetic factor . I believe sugar can be trouble , and I thought it was interesting you mentioned substitutes. I remember reading many articles on aspartame . i know swimming helped me , or warm water exercise .  

Congratulations on your quit . 

Tanuaj

Thank you. It’s my last quit. I know that it affects your bones. Probably all the chemicals. What I’ve read really didn’t say. Overuse can wear out the cartilage between the bones. My thumb is in a brace and there is probably bone on bone at this point. Will find out more on the 28th. I read that water doesn’t have gravity. The gravity pulls on the body? I also didn’t eat right and get enough vitamins and minerals. I try to not use too much sugar. My family has a lot of diabetics. I hope my hip makes it a while before replacement. If we could only get the youth to listen so they wouldn’t have to go through some of our mistakes. I have a lot of inflammation that their trying to alleviate. It makes my temperature go up and down. Not fun. Accepting it though. Learning to not give in and being active in researching this OA I have.

Barbscloud

Cigarette smoke generates huge amounts of free radicals -- molecules that attack and overwhelm the body's natural defenses. The result is a chain-reaction of damage throughout the body -- including cells, organs, and hormones involved in keeping bones healthy.

The toxins upset the balance of hormones (like estrogen) that bones need to stay strong. Your liver produces more estrogen-destroying enzymes, which also leads to bone loss, says Kaur. "Smoking makes bone loss even worse in the menopausal years. It adds to the bone loss that's already occurring."

Smoking triggers other bone-damaging changes, such as increased levels of the hormone cortisol, which leads to bone breakdown, says Kaur. "Research also suggests that smoking impedes the hormone calcitonin, which helps build bones -- so that hormone can't do its job."

There's more: "Nicotine and free radicals kill the osteoblasts -- the bone-making cells," she explains. "Smoking also damages blood vessels, so there is poor blood supply of oxygen. People who smoke have repeated fractures. Studies show that when a smoker suffers a fracture, they don't heal very well because of poor blood supply."

Tanuaj

Well there you go. Thanks Barb. My Doctors office called today and said my bone DR. will be out for 6 weeks. Then said I could see her PA. I said ok. Appointment moved to June 2. They told me that she has breast cancer

indingrl

for YOUR doctor

0 Kudos