cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising and Health

I am walking every day as long as there is no rain. 30 minutes a day. I probably wasted that much time smoking in the past. Yesterday I rewarded myself with a Wii and a Wii fit so now I can do a work out at home. Especially when I can't get out and walk, winter is coming. Although I will enjoy the walks in the cool weather. Once I get a new job, it may be too dark by the time I get home.
  208 smoke free days!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1,337 Replies
ctm

I didn't think anything of your remark Sandi. I worked hard to lose weight and have started to put a few pounds back on. So now I'm going hard-core and counting calories, etc.
0 Kudos
ctm

I'm not an expert and it really depends on where you are starting from in terms of age, health, weight, etc. I've also been doing this for so long that I can't remember what my starting program was like.

In general, I would say to take it slow and see how you feel. If you feel good, then gradually increase the distance. If you don't feel good, then decrease the distance.

Also remember that the older we get, the more slowly we need to increase the intensity. That's a problem that I've been having lately. I have a 30 year old mind in a 47 year old body. Injuries happen lots easier as we age.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos

i have heard the pedometer helps. my mom goals for 10,000 steps per day. i dont know what that translates to though..anyone?? I have one & plan to use it tomorrow.

AWESOME CHUCK! we all have to push. for some of us it will be huge if we walk a block, others, like Chuck, will have bigger goals.......don't be afraid to post!! no matter how short or long!! We are proud of anything we do as long as we are moving MORE than we were......and trying & doing often so that we have.....

NO NEW ADDICTION!!

decide what you can handle, post it & DO IT!

awesome job guys!
0 Kudos
sally3

Thanks Chuck ! That is good advice! I know what you mean about 30 yr old mind in 47 year old body, except I am older, but not much. Hee Hee! I always try to do more than I should and then pay for it later.
0 Kudos
ctm

Thanks Sally and GMvirtual.

I had a pedometer once and didn't care for it. The steps depend on your stride and I found that it was too sensitive and was double counting steps and the accuracy wasn't that great. I used the odometer in the car (or my bike) and measured various circuits around my house so I have an accurate mileage reading. I have a few dozen ways to change the scenery with exact mileage. That way works for me anyways.

Thanks for starting this group GMvirtual!!!
0 Kudos
sally3

Yep, I also measured my mile by car. One loop around the neighborhood is one mile. My problem is the dog and I only go 1 mile lately! I need to slowly increase it like chuck said.
0 Kudos
butterflybp2

Hey guys i will join ya in this.
  GM 10,000 steps per day. how long in minutes would that be? About ? 1/2 hr or 1 hour of walking?
0 Kudos
cindywilson

wow it is great to see everyone so motivated, don't kow if I can get to 6 miles, with the COPD, but hey I'll shoot for more. It took me quite awhile to get to a mile. I do an uphill walk twice on the walk I take and when I first started I thought I would stop breathing the way I was huffing, but now I do it and I am blowing some, but not as bad.....
0 Kudos
sandi8

well i did my 20mins yesterday. the last 3 minutes were the worst.
0 Kudos

HI ITS HARLEYGIRL NEW TO THIS GROUP, I PLEDGE TO WALK ALITTLE EACH DAY, AND PUT DOWN THE CHOCOLATES, FOR NOW.
0 Kudos