cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuzyQ411

BIBLE STUDY FOR A NICOTINE-FREE LIFE

bible study group. holding hads in prayer.jpg

GOD'S HELP IN QUITTING NICOTINE

In August, 2023, members of the Fith and Sprituality Group expressed interest in having access to a Bible study series to assist in quitting nicotine. One of our members will soon be starting this study. I am hopeful others will follow behind. And, I'm tossing out the idea that perhaps those who do choose to participte in this free study will share comments and insights on this thread with others who are also participating.  Just in case, I'm starting this new thread which is specific to this study.

BIBLE STUDY FOR A NICOTINE-FREE LIFE 

27 Replies
BethS514

Hello F&S friends, sorry for the delay response. I am having a bit of a difficult time keeping track of where to find everything quickly on this forum. 🤪 I did review the link to the Bible study (thank you so much for sharing!). I have also been gathering verses and creating some declarations I will make each day during this journey. This is what I will be using: 

1. Today, I make a promise to God and to myself to no longer vape. I do this to fulfill my greater goal of becoming a healthier, happier, more confident and more energetic person by steadily making improvements in my health, exercise, nutrition, sleep and peace of mind. This is yet another step in my greater pursuit of seeking first the kingdom of God and of being a better light to the world.

• Adapted from this Bible study
  • Inspired by Matthew 6:33 – “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
  • Inspired by  Matthew 5:14 – "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."

2. I cannot serve two masters – God AND nicotine. I choose God and therefore, will no longer allow myself to be mastered, controlled, dominated or enslaved by nicotine. 

3. I will make no provision for gratifying the desire of my flesh to vape. 

4. I can do ALL things – including conquering this addiction – through Christ who strengthens me. 

5. Through Jesus, I have been set free from all sin – including addiction – and have instead become a slave to living rightly. 

• Inspired by Romans 6:16-18, 22
  • NOTE FROM THIS BIBLE STUDY: "The Bible stresses true Christian liberty. The more free a person is, the better he or she can serve God and build godly character. Addiction is enslavement. The only good enslavement is being voluntary "slaves to God." Enslavement to anything else comes between us and God. It's extremely important to conquer both the chemical and psychological aspects of [nicotine] addiction. Keep this key in mind: Success will begin when our desire to please God becomes stronger than the craving [for nicotine]."

6. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives within me. My life was bought at a price and I choose to honor Jesus’ sacrifice and glorify God by caring for my body by not vaping.

7. Thank You, God, for the victory over vaping! I accept it as a gift from You, and praise You that I am now an ex-vaper. Thank You that I no longer have to try to quit. Thank You that I no longer have to struggle. Because of You, I have the victory and it feels AMAZING! I accept this victory, declare IT IS FINISHED and praise You for the win!

I look forward to continuing to share with one another how God is leading us through this journey. I hope you all have a blessed day! Thank y'all!

SuzyQ411

@BethS514  ~ This is absolutely fantastic-- what you have done in using the supplied framework to write a whole new Bible study to carry one through the process of withdrawing from nicotine and then staying free for the rest of our days on earth! Do you mind if I post it as an option (attributed to you) on on the new Bible Study thread I will be creating? BTW, I whole-heartedly sympathize with your finding this site to be so cumbersome to access. At this point in time, @CommunityAdmin has been assisting me in attempting to simplify things to make access much easier. It is hoped the "new way" will all be in place by March 1, 2024~ Before that date I will dedicate a post to explaining these changes~ What happened is the site took off so quickly and ended up with so many individual posts that they clogged up the system!!

@SuzyQ411 Thank you for confirming I'm not the only one who struggles with navigating the platform. The site getting clogged up is a good sign that people are using it and find it valuable, which is awesome! I know with time, I will get it all figured out. I just wanted to mention it in case I miss replying to something we're discussing as I don't anyone to think I'm not dedicated to staying in touch to support each other. I am SO APPRECIATIVE of you all already! 

Yes, I would be happy for you to share anything I share wherever you'd like. I appreciate you asking and please know that you have my permission to share anything and everything I share wherever you think it may be helpful to others. I know you are an expert here in knowing the best places to post and I am happy to do my small part in helping our entire community. A HUGE thank you to you @SuzyQ411, @biscuit9 and @Maki for all you do (and I'm sure there will be others as I get to know you all better)! Blessings! 💖  

SuzyQ411

I love that you have joined us @BethS514 . You have such a spiritual and caring heart and are adding so much to the  site already with your frequent and inspiring posts. 

Maki

I was just reading your posts @BethS514 , thank you for sharing the Bible study you have put together , I have done the same just recently . The Bible is the go to for any struggle one might have on life or in their quit and different versus may stand out for each of us depending on different circumstances , the day , the struggle .  I am so glad you are here and sharing your journey with us . Thank you for sharing what you’ve been studying . 

SuzyQ411

@BethS514 ~ As we discussed, I have revamped the Bible Study post to reflect emphasis on your revised Bible study version. I also took the liberty to add smoking and chewing to the places you mentioned vaping so it will apply to all of us (hope that's ok?) I have also sent a personal message to Todd @CommunityAdmin to "pin" this new tread toward the top of the F&S offerings so it will not drop into the pile of old posts and be difficult to access 😊 It my take him a few days to do this but we can rest assured that it will be "frozen" at the top of the threads on F&S and not get lost in the quagmire so that it can be readily accessed~

0 Kudos

@SuzyQ411 Awesome! Yes, that is okay to add or take away whatever you think will help the most people. You're amazing! 🙂

SuzyQ411

@BethS514 ~ You did a fantastic job with putting this together and I so appreciate the work you did. I feel confident that it will be helpful to many of our members!