cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I logged in this morning a window opened and said that I was today's lucky visitor to becomeanex and to complete a brief survey to receive a gift valued  at  $50.00.  This appears to me to be some sort of scam and wanted you and others to be aware of it.  At the end it wants your credit card information.  Of course, I did not give it.  

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe that I found the problem - there was an extension added to my browser that I have now deleted.  I had some other things pop up that was unusual - and I believe it was all linked to this extension.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you happen to get a screenshot of it?  I'd like to get this taken care of immediately.  Sorry you encountered that.  I appreciate you alerting me!

Can you provide any more details?  If you were using a computer, tablet or phone? What browser you are using (Safari, Edge, Chrome, Firefox)?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

No sorry - just didn't think fast enough.  

0 Kudos

I logged in and didn't see anything.  Perhaps you should run a virus scan on your computer. While it may be our website it could also be your computer.  I would take precaution to ensure you don't have any malware on your computer.  If anyone else encounters this hopefully they'll be able to share more details with us.

Mark

EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Jennifer-Quit

• Where were you when it popped up?  Were you on the community (excommunity.becomeanex.org) or the EX Plan (www.becomeanex.org)?
  • If you log out and back in do you see it again?
  • Do you have another computer or device to login with to see if it happens again?
  • Did it have any branding with  the EX logo?
  • Did it pop up over the screen and you had to dismiss it?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

One more question Jennifer-Quit

Does this or has this happened on any other website currently or in the past?

Mark
EX Community  Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I have never seen it before - but will be sure to get a screenshot if it happens again.  It opened in another window but did specifically say "becomeanex" but did not see a logo.  I did log out and back in and did not see it again.  I scanned my computer and nothing was detected.  I looked for any recent downloads or updates and came up with nothing. 

0 Kudos

Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 wrote:

I have never seen it before - but will be sure to get a screenshot if it happens again.  It opened in another window but did specifically say "becomeanex" but did not see a logo.  I did log out and back in and did not see it again.  I scanned my computer and nothing was detected.  I looked for any recent downloads or updates and came up with nothing. 

When you saw it happen were you on https://excommunity.becomeanex.org or on https://www.becomeanex.org?

Did it look well-formatted? The use of "lucky" and "gift" seems very spammy and wouldn't be terminology we would use.  Glad to hear that your scan showed nothing. Can I ask which application you used to scan your computer?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I believe that I found the problem - there was an extension added to my browser that I have now deleted.  I had some other things pop up that was unusual - and I believe it was all linked to this extension.  

0 Kudos

Thanks for following up.  That's good and unfortunate to hear at the same time.  Yes sometimes extensions can have malicious purposes.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos