cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarilynH

Is anyone having issues with private messaging?

Just curious if I'm the only one having issues!  Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies

I think it's just a reflection of the upcoming update to the site being needed.

0 Kudos

RoseH

It's actually going away completely so attention/support to it is at a minimum currently. I'm excited to start the next chapter, by moving to a new platform. They'll be some learning just as there is with quitting but we're going to try to minimize the feeling of change as much as possible. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

You are right, Mark, I turned them off but fixed them now...

Trisha76

I have not even figured out how to private message somebody yet?

0 Kudos

Click on their avatar and once on their page click on  Message.  OR, if you're lucky (and Jive isn't acting up), just hover over an avatar or username and the popup should present with a Message option.  Click on it.  Then put in a Subject line, write what you'd like and click on Send.

0 Kudos

Giulia‌ is spot on with those directions.  

Trisha76

If you post a comment on something and then hover over a username (not available on mobile or tablets) and you get the profile hovercard to pop up and it is mostly blank you may have to refresh the page and hover again to see the message button. I am finding that right after you reply to something or otherwise post on the site that not all the information loads on a hovercard until after refresh/reload the page.

Otherwise going to the profile works as well. If on a mobile device (phone or tablet) flip your device on the side to see more options. Change to Desktop mode in your browser if you feel it's showing you a simplified view of the site.

Additionally, if you know the person's username you can also click the Pencil icon (available on any page) and then choose Message from drop down to start a private message.

Private messages are fun and I definitely recommend them for things that are sensitive however I do recommend that most things are posted publicly for the benefit of all.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I finally found this today! I’m not sure I got everything on the top paragraphs but I am going to try the pencil for private messages that sounds good. I still have so much to learn and I really do think using my iPad keeps me from adding all those cute features that I want to add to my comments but I am unsure.

0 Kudos

Trisha76‌ You can also go to user profiles and there is an option for Messaging as seen in the red box. 

pastedImage_3.png

On a Computer there is an option if you hover over a username, then a pop-up will appear like below with option to message but this won't appear on mobile.

pastedImage_2.png

As for what else you can do on a 10 year old iPad.  You probably can add some emojis to posts but the keyboard has updated in the last 10 years so that may be limited.

Trisha76 wrote:

I finally found this today! I’m not sure I got everything on the top paragraphs but I am going to try the pencil for private messages that sounds good. I still have so much to learn and I really do think using my iPad keeps me from adding all those cute features that I want to add to my comments but I am unsure.

EX Community Admin Team

Ok how do I refresh my iPad?  Seriously I have no clue. This is pretty bad considering I’ve had this iPad for 10 years and thought I knew everything about it.

0 Kudos

Trisha76 wrote:

Ok how do I refresh my iPad?  Seriously I have no clue. This is pretty bad considering I’ve had this iPad for 10 years and thought I knew everything about it. 

Not sure what you mean by "refresh"? It's stuck at whatever operating system it's on. It can be factory reset but then you'd lose all the personalization you've added to it if it's no backed up to iCloud. I suspect with 10 years of data there may be things that aren't recoverable. You'd have to to go to the Apple Community to find out what you can and cannot do.  Ironically they used to use the same community platform that we here but they've likely updated it now and use some other community platform now.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos