cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

Giulia

A New Year - A New Pledge

if you're here to (make a pledge) to quit because you've decided without any prior thought to do so - think again.  This is not just a place for end-of-the ear New Year's resolutions.  The "Oh I REALLY NEED TO QUIT SMOKING" cry and so "THIS YEAR I'll really DO IT!"  And "New Year's is the PERFECT TIME!."  We've all been there, attempted that.  For most of us that New Year's resolution was just a wishful thought based on hope and what our inner wisdom told us we should do for the benefit of our health.  It was a beautiful, but brief, emotional desire, supported by very little else than the "I SHOULD." 

Quitting takes so much more than that.  It  takes all sorts of thoughtful supportive measures.  It takes desire, yes, but desire is not the deciding factor.  Knowledge, dedication, commitment, sacrifice, homework, perseverance...  all the words we really don't want to hear.  That's what quitting takes.  Well, the lasting kind, anyway.   We want it to be easy.  We want to take a pill and awaken the next day craving free.  Doesn't happen.  YOU have to do the work necessary to achieve the success you want.  YOU have to make and take the time.  YOU have to learn and apply that learning and you may have to make some sacrifices along the way.  Are you willing?  It's an incredibly empowering journey.  You'll learn things about  yourself you never knew  And they are positively THRILLING! 

No, it's not an easy ride.  Smoking has consumed your days and twilights.  For YEARS.  It has consumed most of your being  in more ways than than you have even considered.  But you'll discover all that if you stick around and, well - just read.   In order to overcome this addiction, you have to consume something else.   A different mindset.  Your brain, unfortunately was sabotaged without your knowledge.  But knowledge will give you the keys necessary to unlock the door to your Freedom.  It's YOUR choice. 

What will you choose?

This is a one-day-at-a-time journey.  Get through today and you will find it will aid your tomorrow.  Each smoke-free day builds upon the next and adds strength and encouragement to those days which followl.

Those who have been a member of this group and have pledged daily, know the strength of this daily dose of commitment.  You do us all  honor every day.  Thank you.

I, Giulia,  pledge to remain smoke free this day as I have for the past 3,592 days.  Take my hand and don't be afraid.  It get's easier.  Really it does!  Rejoice!  Who will join me?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
125 Replies

sharon i take your hand and pledge to remain smoke free on day 8
0 Kudos
Giulia

Well here's a new member's hand to take.   Welcome Boarsheadeli!  Glad you've joiined us in the pledge group.  Do YOU have any suggestions for making the pledge more exciting?  If you do,  feel free to SPEAK UP!  We weclome suggestions here. 

Sharon I especially like your distraction idea.  The "reason to stay clean" - I fear we'll end up repeating ourselves before too long.  And that will become boring also.  So here's my distraction for today:  Click on the Pew Research link that follows  and take the quiz.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Here's another idea:  Part of what's boring me is the same old "thanks for you hand...I pledge....here's my hand..."  So I'm gonna asssume you know I thank you for your hand and that you also know my hand is held out for the next person.  And I'm just gonna promise not to smoke in whatever way I feel like on any given day.  It helps to be creative with it.  Such as....

I'm FREE!   You think I'm gonna put a cigarette in my mouth and give that up?  NO WAY. 

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

Good evening all!  Also,never got to wish all of you Happy NewYear!

Giulia, thanks for your hand. Holding onto it I pledge not to smoke this day and offer my other hand in support to the next person in line.

Victoria  135 DOF

I put the wrong number down yesterday.

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

Good morning all!

Giulia, thanks again for your hand.  I pledge not to smke this day and offer my hand in support to the next person in line.  

Victoria   136 DOF

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Hello Fellow EXers!!!!      

What a wonderful day to be free!       7 degrees right now in Minneapolis.....I don't need to be out there in that!

Just checked and it is 41 degrees and sunny today in Las Cruces, NM.        So I say "hold on Sharon....this too will pass".

Today let's share a reason WHY you won't smoke today!

Mine is I won't need to freeze!

Who's next with a reason?

Sharon 887 DOF

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Thanks for your hand Sharon as I hold it in mine I promise not to smoke for 24 hours and I extend my free hand to the next person in line to pledge!

Terrie  187  DOF

Sharon, the reason I will not smoke today is that I never will do another day one/won! who's next with a reason?

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hey ya'll.  I'm not smoking today.  No how - now way.  Why?  Because it's a pain in the butt to go through all that buying, preparing, finding the lighter, burning, ashtray full of ick, ...  I don't think about a cigarette every day any more.  And I don't wanna go BACK to that stupid thinking.  Which I will the moment I put one in my mouth and inhale it.  I'M FREE!!!   YIPPEEEE! 

Glad you are too!

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Good Morning.      Hello to all the SMART people here.....why SMART????

Because we don't smoke!!!!!        

What was the thing that helped you the most when you quit?

Mine was Atomic Fire Balls!!!    I still have them on occasion but I had them constantly at the beginning.    

And look...today I have 888 Days of Freedom!

Sharon

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

I'm back!     Didn't it just SUCK to not be able to get on here??????

But you know what?????        I didn't smoke and I'm not going to do it today either!

So, soldiers of EX.......SMILE IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

Sharon     889 DOF

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

Is it just me, couldn't get on site yesterday ?  Anyway, Good Morning!

Sharon, thanks for your hand. Holding it in mine I pledge not to smke this day.  I also offer my free hand to the next person in line.

Victoria   138 DOF

0 Kudos