cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Progression of 'G'

Still not done, but getting closer. Grandkids here now till late tomorrow. Hope to finish this painting sometime over the weekend. I can see lots of areas I need to work on. But I am new at portrait painting so any progress is good, lol.

IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0198.jpg58446319840__914E9508-84BB-4A09-A99E-93C56C37383D.JPG58446657955__C072F785-DE65-479E-BE9B-D9F35073F36C.JPGIMG_0205.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
21 Replies
Mandolinrain

Twins in bed now. McCoy is only one up and he and I are getting ready to watch a movie. Hubby is already snoozing, lol.

Giulia‌ ~

Its all on the same canvas. I always start with a rough sketch on a primed canvas and then begin adding paint. The pencil helps me see where I am going. The only thing I didn't show was the gridding I use to get proportions right. I erase it before I start to paint. This photograph I had of you I got from your homepage on Ex. I had it developed but it was a little on blurry side, so was sorta hard to see good definition. So anyway everything you see s the transformation of the painting from beginning to end

I just take pictures as I change it and paint. I decide I like or dont like something and paint over it as I did the backgrounds as well and the shirt color. I will go check out that necklace now. Next time I post the painting  it will be last one. I find taking pictures as I paint also helps me see my mistakes and improvements  When it is complete I will mail it to you

0 Kudos
elvan

OMG, Missy, this is amazing, you are getting better and better, if that's even possible!

XOXO,

Ellen

Mandolinrain

Thank you my dear, you're also on my paint list

0 Kudos
Giulia

Here's the original photo if that helps any.

Giulia1.JPG

I don't know how you can just give away your art like that, but I'd be more than ecstatic to accept it.  

Mandolinrain

Giving it away is the best part in creating art for me  

gregp136

You are an amazing artist!

Mandolinrain

Thank you for the compliment

0 Kudos
Strudel

It’s her!! Great work Missy! 

Posamari

Amazing! Truly!

I wish I could sketch like you!

Mandolinrain

Thanks  Posamari ,   my secret weapon is gridding. Seriously. I learned it in HS Art Class and I had a fantastic teacher, I otherwise really have no other formal training.

Gridding is so easy. Just make a grid over the picture that you want to draw/paint and make the same grid on your paper/canvas. go by each square. Its sorta like looking at a puzzle and fitting the pieces together. But for me , it helps me with proportions more than anything. I grid in pencil then erase the grid lines or paint over them. A few times practice and you will be off to the races! Give it a whirl, its sorta fun  Once you have done a few it gets easier and easier.

Horses are my favorite thing to paint, next to dogs and I also studied their anatomy and photos and the values ( lights and dark shades )  at great length when I started doing them. We had horses so I took many pics of them doing different things, standing and such, great practice and a live model to boot