I'm still kickin'!

Blog Post created by linkinkohl02 on Oct 17, 2018

Holy frijole, it's been a month since I last posted. I guess it's time for some updating, eh? Well then, let's not waste any time with formalities. Let's jump right in to the reason why I haven't posted.


I had my surgery on the 21st, everything went well. The anesthesia had two awful side effects - super bloat and feelings. I cried like a baby when I saw my husband the first time after waking up. I cried when he drove me home. I cried when he handed me my hospital cup of apple juice because it was the one thing I could do by myself. I still cry over silly things. I'm still getting over the depression, which is a common side effect of my surgery, but I have a husband who thankfully listens to what I have to say, when the TV isn't on. Mostly I just stare into space.


The first week after my surgery had lots of ups and downs. The anesthesia made me so bloated I couldn't do anything. I could only sleep for a couple of hours at a time before my feet got so swollen that I had to try to walk for a while to make the pain stop. I was like the Michelin man. Celebrex, the anti-inflammatory I was on, helped keep me bloated (go figure), so the doctor told me I should stop taking it. I lost about 2 lbs of bloat, but the rest I had to pee out. I still have a little bit of bloating from healing (which will take up to a year). That same week, my cat started peeing blood for the 4th time in two months. We're trying all sorts of treatments with my vet, and next week we have laser therapy set up since nothing else is working. Fun fact: Some cats do this due to stress and my cat is a brat.


I then had the pleasure of withdrawing from the pain medication in the latter part of the week, while I still had fat feet. Man, was I a grump. Super angry grumpy pants. I withdrew all the way into my first week back at work, and everyone knew it (I was only off for a week). Also, if you've never had the pleasure of wearing the torture device that is a 'bra' 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, please give it a try. AND... guess what? I was bothered by my CSR every. Freaking. Day. Drains in my boobs and high on pain medication and I was being asked to think. I did payroll for 30 employees three days after surgery. Proud to say I didn't screw it up!


The next week, on what would have been my parents' 35th wedding anniversary had they not divorced 18 years ago, my uncle died. We were close about ten years ago before he went completely out of his mind, abandoned his youngest son, and starved his dog (which I rescued in 2014 and passed away in 2017, thank-you-very-much, and is pictured below). Not to speak too ill of the deceased, let's just say it's the one thing I didn't cry about. Long story, meant for a therapist, not a blog. The nice part about it all was his oldest living son, who lives in Japan, came home for the funeral. It was great to see him, but it's never under great circumstances, always for a funeral! Most of my family smokes, and not once did I want to cave, so yay!




Yesterday would have been my dog Oreo's 19th birthday. She was my best friend. Cried over it today... my husband's birthday. I still blame anesthesia giving me feelings.




Outside all of this, I'm healing up pretty well, have two open spots on each side yet. I regret getting the surgery but I'm told this is also a side effect of surgery due to the extent of pain (and my boobs look like Frankenstein's monster), but my mom had it done for the same reason, and two of my aunts had double mastectomies with cosmetic replacements due to breast cancer and all three have said that once I'm all healed I'll be asking myself why I didn't do this sooner. Fingers crossed that's how I feel in a couple of months. Until then, I'm just going to keep chugging along and hope that at some point I stop crying over little things.


1 month, 16 days, 3 hours quit

Saved $303.95 so far

738.65 cigarettes not smoked

61.33 hours spent not smoking