cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katherineu

90 DAYS Smoke Free

90 days since my last cigarette, but at least I have lost two of the twelve pounds I have gained and I don't reek of cigarette smoke.  Now forgive me but I have to vent because I am literally TIRED of no mans land.  It sucks, I can't stand it, I am losing my mind and how much longer do I have to suffer with extreme PMS and stomach bloating from hell, I look Pregnant people, I am ashamed when I look in the mirror, I avoid the mirror, I cringe when I look at my reflection.

Does anyone have severe acid reflux since you quit smoking?  Mine is god awful, it became worse since I quit smoking, I wake up in the middle of the night sick with reflux, nausea at times,  throat on fire, I'm gagging at times, and my reflux is out of control, and I don't eat well when this is going on.  When I don't have reflux my throat hurts, feels like something is stuck and I am coughing and clearing my throat daily.  

I drink water throughout the day, more than eight glasses, I eat activa to help me with my reflux and it helps some what.  The thing that gets me the most is that I have a benign arrhythmia, PVCs and PACs which were under control with Nadol that I have been taking for years and now my PAC's are out of control, daily all these flutters, skips, quivers of my heart is starting to dictate my life.  

I have no desire to smoke but I will have a random thought of smoking, I don't think about cigarettes everyday, I have been doing well with my progress.  All my side effects since I quit smoking are getting to me and I know it will end, how much longer does this have to go on.  

GOD I hope its not more than six months, this really sucks.  I hope anyone reading this doesn't ever pick up another cigarette EVER, its not worth it, look at what I'm dealing with, look at what your dealing with, never make a lame excuse to smoke.

My mom has emphysema and still smokes, she says she can't quit because of stress and her on going health problems.  I never say anything because it will not do any good.  I mentioned once to her that look at the relatives in our family that died due to smoking related diseases and didn't make to 60.  My mother is is 58, you see the cigarette isn't worth it.  

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I think some of the things you describe are your body chemistry without the nicotine. Lots of things change when we quit smoking and medication adjustments need to be made. I think a visit with your doctor is in order.- sooner rather than later.  Acid reflux is not something to ignore.  They will probably recommend you raise the head of your bed and watch your diet a bit.  You should also check with your heart doctor ASAP.

Let us know what they say!

Nancy

freeneasy

Congrats on 90 days! Countdown to the TDC. Both of my parents had COPD and smoked until the end of their lives. That's how powerful nicotine addiction is. I think I had more of a problem with acid reflux before I stopped smoking. Sounds like Nancy's advice is good. It's a great feeling when you see your doctor and tell her or him that you quit smoking.

0 Kudos
shashort

I agree with nancy you should be checked by a doctor.  I was fortunate my acid reflux seemed to improve abouth a month or so when I  quit smoking. Hang in there 90 days is great and wow 10 days until you join us in the Triple digit club. Keep strong it can be challenging in NML but it don't last forever.

0 Kudos
elvan

katherineu‌  HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on 90 days!  Ten more days and you will enter the Triple Digit Club, I felt like that was such a huge accomplishment.  I commented on an old post of yours this morning, just checking to see how you were doing.  PLEASE listen to Nancy and make an appointment with your doc asap.  I really don't like the cardiac symptoms and perhaps now that you are not smoking, you need a change in medication.  As far as the reflux, it needs to be determined that it IS reflux and not cardiac related.  The bloating and PMS symptoms can be addressed by your OB/GYN...you NEED to see a doctor to make sure that nothing damaging is going on.  I used to have the feeling that my heart was going to come through my chest wall but that was when I was smoking, I have not had it since I quit smoking.  

Do keep us posted on what the doctor(s) say.  Thinking of you and the question you asked about when does this end?  I think much of what you are talking about is treatable and no, it will not go on and on.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
gregp136

How wonderful. I would also agree. See a doctor.  As for me, besides mu current struggle with a virus (which I could blame on withdrawal, but would be a lie) I have had a huge increase in intestinal gas, but I will not complain.  That won't kill me.  And yes, when health problems were slapping me in the face, that caused one of my past blown quits.  Wacko, isn't it?

0 Kudos
dwwms

Count me in as well - a visit to the doctor sounds like the best idea. I've been smoke free for 3 weeks and have noticed more belching and intestinal gas, but certainly nothing like you've described. Acid reflux should be taken seriously before it causes damage to the esophagus.

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON 90 DAYS!!!! Hopefully the side effects will diminish soon!

Doug

0 Kudos
katherineu

I saw my EP (cardiologist) and I am fine, I have had PVC's all my life and over the years developed PAC's which is normal if someone has one or the other, this tends to happens and these palpitations are benign.  I saw my Gastroenterologist the other day and he put me on a prescription, he diagnosed me with GERD, he said people with this disease have symptoms that are worse in the spring and fall and it has nothing to do with my smoking cessation.  I have to take this pill every day for six weeks and go back for a follow up.  At this point I will do anything to get rid of reflux it has messed up my throat.  Looking back hindsight I am aware that my reflux was starting to become a bothersome thing around November and now its April!  I quit smoking in Jan. and right around that time my reflux was terrible and I assumed my body went crazy because I quit smoking.

Anyone that has obvious problems that need to be addressed by a doctor please do so because the heart is not something to mess with and stomach pain should never be ignored!

Thank you all for the feed back and support, Please know that I truly appreciate everyone of you and hope I can be of online support and a moral cheerleader for those who need encouragement!  GOD BLESS!!!

N.O.P.E.  never ever again

0 Kudos
dwwms

That is great news!! Hope everything settles down soon. TDC is right around the corner!

Doug

0 Kudos
elvan

katherineu‌ I am so happy to hear that you went to the doc(s) and that things are under control.  My husband has terrible GERD and he has been told not to eat anything after 8:00 and to have his head elevated when he sleeps.  His is aggravated by lifting anything or by exertion...I will admit that it has been alarming on more than one occasion when he looked like he was having a heart attack.  I am SO GLAD that your cardiologist cleared you!

Wonderful news.

Ellen

0 Kudos