cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

o2run

Thank you! From disheartened at 4 weeks to free at 5!

So a little over a week ago I was on my 4th week and feeling really disheartened about the whole thing. Even though I had read Alan Carr's Easy Way and thought I wasn't using "willpower", in essence part of me was because he talks about how great you will feel after 3 weeks. Having already been a relatively healthy person, 3 weeks in I did not feel better. In fact, my cravings were worse. I had been counting down the days to get past the 3 week mark, and even the 4 week mark knowing that the nicotine receptors were slowly getting killed off (or more accurately getting put into sleep mode) but having the ongoing cravings that were the constant companion were making me very disheartened and depressed about the whole thing. 

I almost caved. 

And then I found this site. And I posted how I was feeling. And wow. The support and information was wonderful, and most of all, felt so sincere. Because smoking was a secret in my life I didn't have any support around it and man did you guys make up for that 10 fold! You and the blog articles got me through some very tough days where my mind really tried to trick me into giving in and starting over wouldn't be that bad. Thankfully I had registered for a 5k to run with some friends for fun on the upcoming Saturday (last saturday). It felt so good to be running during a time when I would have been outside hiding and smoking! I even came in 2nd in my age group hahaha. (not saying much, seriously). I am still much slower than I was prior to being a smoker but my lungs felt stronger than they had in quite awhile. 

And here was the kicker. I'm nearing the end- in the last mile- and going up hill (ahh, treacherous. I live in the mountains) and there is a guy walking along the street smoking a cigarette!! I about died! It smelled so horrible and it was like a punch in the face. And a beautiful wake up call. That guy was robbing my air! And I was able to do the Alan Carr thing of seeing him as an idiot and feel sorry for him (well and be angry bc I needed every breath on that hill). It was so awesome I wanted to come right home and tell you guys haha. 

And then the next awesome thing happened. Week 5 started. And I practically forgot. I'd have the occasional teeny trigger mostly associated with the time of day, and I'd think- oh! I need to go check in on the site- and then whoosh- life carried on... and I FORGOT! Isn't that wonderful!?! That is what I was waiting for. To live and not have it be in the back of my mind as the constant companion or the dull pain/ urge/ crave in the bottom of my throat. Literally the entire week just passed by and I didn't log onto this site once. I logged on tonight because I wanted to say thank you, not because I was having cravings!

So- for those of you out there in the beginning weeks and feeling disheartened like I was-- hold out!! hold out!!!! Right around the corner will be that relief you are waiting to feel. 

Thank you to all of those who commented on my posts and offered your stories and encouraging thoughts. I am almost 100% positive i would have relapsed if it wasn't for your input. I am so grateful to you!

5 FULL WEEKS FREE! Yahoo!  

(And yes, I know that I'm entering the No Man's Land time... but happy to be where I am)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

THANK YOU for stopping by.  I know your story will encourage others just as you were encouraged.

So happy to hear how much better you are doing.  The best thing is that it gets better and easier as more time passes!

And - congrats on your finish in the race! 

Nancy

elvan

Congratulations and I echo Nancy's thank you for letting us know, thank you for all of the newbies.  You are growing, my friend, this will get easier and you will get stronger.  I am so happy for you and so proud of you.

It warms my heart every time I hear of the cloud of addiction clearing and the realization comes forth that yes, I'm doing the right thing and more importantly that yes, I'm happy I'm doing it!! Thank you for your very inspiring post. Onward through no man's land to the peace and freedom that you deserve!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Sootie

What a great post! It will be a real inspiration for someone just beginning this journey. Keep up those 5k runs....I sign up for them whenever I can. They are fun, good for you and I never care where I place either. The only record I have to beat is my time on the last one.

Stay Strong.

prjimm01

you need to stay with us because you are a success story!  we need you here.

0 Kudos
Kellybeth

Today I have been quit for 4 weeks and 1 day (can't forget that 1 day) and I think I needed to hear this today. I really thought it would be easier by now. At times I feel down on myself and right on the edge of smoking again. Like it is too hard and I just CAN'T do it. But those feelings do pass and I start to feel better. I know I CAN do it. I WANT to do it and I NEED to do it. I WILL do it. It is nice to hear from other people that have been through the same thing. I feel discouraged at times but looking back it the cravings are getting less powerful. It's just a struggle but we got this!!

rasquez

Awesome

0 Kudos