cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Inhaler Effectiveness

Did you know that minor errors in inhaler use can bring the effectiveness down to 7%? I didn't! I was pretty shocked when I read this article!

https://copdnewstoday.com/news/2017/03/16/incorrect-use-metered-dose-inhalers-limits-medications-eff...

This article explains the correct way to use a metered dose inhaler (MDI)

http://www.asthma.ca/adults/treatment/meteredDoseInhaler.php

If you use more than one inhaler on a regular basis, it is important to use these inhalers in the proper order. This will maximize the effectiveness of your inhalers.

• One inhaler relaxes and opens the airways in your lungs. This is your bronchodilator.
  • Another inhaler decreases swelling in the airway of your lungs. This is your steroid inhaler.

Always use the inhaler that opens the airways of your lungs first (bronchodilator).

After using the steroid inhaler, rinse your mouth with water and expectorate. Do not swallow. This will prevent thrush.

It is also important to remain compliant with your inhaler use. Make sure you always have enough medication in your inhalers. Be sure to order a new inhaler before your inhaler runs out. Many of today’s inhalers have dose counters to help you keep track.

Don't waste your time and money or endanger your health!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
elvan

I have two to use every morning...one is a steroid inhaler and I use that one after I use the other one which is Incruse Ellipta, I asked the pharmacist about how long I should wait between using them and also if I needed to rinse my mouth after using the Incruse.  I kept getting sores on the sides of my mouth and my pulmonologist said to add baking soda to the water when I rinse after using the steroid (Advair) inhaler.  The pharmacist said to wait at least a minute between using them and that I do not have to rinse after using the Incruse...BUT, it is a powder and I go ahead and rinse.  I was also told by a respiratory therapist that if you are using a rescue inhaler to be sure you are sitting up and that you hold the inhaler about an inch from your lips before pressing to release the medication.  This ensures that you take in some air along with the medication and is only necessary if you are not using a spacer.

This is great, Ellen! Thanks for the additional info!

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I have also learned from PFT's to wait about 10 minutes between puffs with a rescue inhaler. Being and RN, I have always known,(pretty much) how to use my inhalers. As I've watched other people use inhalers, I see them doing them wrong. I realized that none of my Dr.s ever taught me how to use mine and that was probably the case with my friends. Thanks for helping to get the word out here.

Connie

0 Kudos
elvan

I have never been told to wait ten minutes between puffs on a rescue inhaler...seriously, I am not sure I COULD wait ten minutes.  I hold it in as long as I can and then after I exhale, I take the second puff.  When I need a rescue inhaler, I need to be RESCUED.  I hold it about an inch from my mouth, exhale completely, then JUST as I am ready to inhale, I press the puffer.  That's what I was told my my respiratory therapist years and years ago and then it was reinforced when I was in pulmonary rehab and I had a consult with a respiratory therapist.. How do you clean the aero chambers to be sure that they are not getting filled up with the medication?  I wash the plastic part of my inhaler regularly and let it air dry.  I guess everyone has been given different advice.  No doctor ever advised me either.

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I actually had a respiratory therapist tell me if your not using an aero chamber, I might as well use nothing. My respiratory therapists at pulmonary rehab gave them to me. You take them apart to clean them and allow them to dry. You press down on the inhaler without breathing so that all the med is in the chamber. Then you inhale into your lungs. I've been told to wait between rescue puffs during PFT's, maybe it's not meant to be like that during actual rescue. Regardless, I don't have the patience to wait that long anyway.

Connie

0 Kudos
elvan

The only time I was told that a spacer/aero chamber had to be used was with my son when he was a little kid with asthma and he couldn't get the idea of holding the inhaler away from his face.  I can promise you that if this did not work, I would not be doing it.  I don't use a rescue inhaler often but when I do, it HAS to work FAST.  I guess all resp therapists have their own ideas.

Ellen

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Also, I didn't see it in this article but It has always been recommended to me by respiratory therapists to use an aero chamber with inhalers to get more of the medicine in your lungs.

Connie

TerrieQuit

I use 2 puff of Symbicort 160/4.5 in the morning and 2 more at bedtime and Spiriva handihaler in the morning  I have pro care and a nebulizer not to be used over 4 times a day between the two. I also have a full stock of oxegen and a room concentrator. I was told to use the aero chamber, but I don't feel like I am getting the medication.I think he's got me covered and I am comfortable most of the time!  ~Terrie~

Thank you for posting this Thomas I don't know that everyone gets the instruction I get and If I feel confused I call them and ask!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos