cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Do You Know Your FEV1?

What a Spirometry Score Can Tell You About Your COPD

Your Spirometry Score is a key measurement in determining the progression of COPD and how to best treat it.

Spirometry is used when a patient complains of breathing difficulties such as shortness of breath, cough, or mucus production and it can detect COPD even in its earliest stage before even before any obvious symptoms manifest.

Spirometry measures:

• How much air you can breathe in and out
  • How fast you can breathe out that volume of air

For many of these tests, you will be asked to breathe as forcefully as you can. Often, a test is repeated three or more times to make sure results are consistent and accurate. Spirometry is often performed before and after the patient is given an inhaled medicine called a "bronchodilator" Knowing how you respond to the bronchodilator will help your doctor know if one of these types of medicines will improve your breathing.

Reviewing changes in FEV1 over time can tell how well your treatment is doing. It can also track the progression of your lung disease. COPD severity is often graded using percentage of predicted FEV1 after you have inhaled a bronchodilator medicine. These grades help health care providers in suggesting the right kind of treatments for each of the disease stages.

Health Care Providers use the GOLD or Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease.

You can learn more about your stage of disease by going to :

Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease - Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive L... 

Your doctor will assign grades to four separate pieces of information:

• How severe your current symptoms are
  • Your spirometry results
  • The chances that your COPD will get worse
  • The presence of other health problems

There are 4 Stages to the Gold Standard:

The best way to control your COPD is to learn as much as you can about it so that you will feel better.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
TerrieQuit

I am somewhere between 2 and 3 but by quitting smoking and using Symbicort, my # raised from 58 to 66. I was able to get off oxygen. Thanks for this post, Thomas. Everyone who has smoked really needs to get these tests done!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

This answers why I was not to use my inhaler ( just to get it filled)  until after my testing this Thursday.

I find these articles so informative, thanks very much for potting this.

0 Kudos
elvan

My pulmonologist is not very communicative and I don't know mine.  I DO know that I couldn't do the six minute walk without my oxygen saturations falling into the 80's before I had my surgery.  I suspect my night time oxygen is going to last forever but I really, really don't want to drag a tank around with me.  

I don't see my doc again until August unless I have an exacerbation but I am going to have testing done then and I will ask pointed questions about the numbers and also inquire about arterial blood gases because I AM surprised that I have not had them done, not that I am going to encourage it.  The only thing I remember from my first testing was that I failed...miserably, 20% function in one lung and 40% in the other, it's amazing I could even walk.  

That was before I had the lung volume reduction surgery and August will be the first testing since that, other than the CT scans and the walking oxygen saturations.

0 Kudos

I am tested with a Spirometry Test every single time I walk into my Pulmonologist's office. I have had one Pulmonary Function Test when I was first diagnosed. That test was done by a Respiratory Therapist in a "phone booth." I also requested an ABG (arterial blood gas) test (drawn blood) shortly after diagnosis from my general practitioner. I always request copies of every test I take and keep an ongoing record of all of these numbers. It took me a while to learn to read these tests but it calms my anxiety and empowers my compliance and self-advocacy.

Things have changed since being diagnosed with asthma and later with bronchiectasis. All of these are complicating factors for recommended treatment and I feel like treatment for one disease is counter-recommended for another! That's when I have to pray that the "experts" know what the heck they are doing! I suspect they're guessing just like me!