cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kelsmynme

Struggling thru Day 1

Day 1 for me, the work day is busy so not too hard, once I get home I'm alone and bored.  I've been

working on a jigsaw puzzle, dont feel like cleaning.  I'm doing alot of deep breathing.  Please tell me this

gets easier? thanks all!!

38 Replies
YoungAtHeart

It DOES get easier - it DOES!  Just hang in there! 

Don't be bored....find SOMETHING  to do!  Here's a list of 100 things to give you ideas:

100 Things to Do Instead of Smoke

Take a bath?  Call a friend?  Just DO something to get your mind off of it!

Nancy

kelsmynme

Thanks Nancy!

0 Kudos
SkyGirl

Hi, Kelsmynme and welcome to EX.  This is a wonderful place where you can find all kinds of support and encouragement on your journey of quitting smoking.  Congratulations on Day One!  Making the DECISION to quit smoking is the first step in finding that a life without nicotine is a really great feeling of freedom.  

You said you feel bored and alone.  First off, if you stay in contact with EX, you will never ever be alone.  So, aside from anything else you do, please stay in contact with us in EX.  Read the blogs (which are listed on the left side of the screen when you click on the "Home" tab at the top left.  Obviously, you have found the "Conversations" since this is where you posted.  Take a look at "Groups" and see if any of them interest you.  But keep "talking" to us so that we can help you with information, advice and LOTS of support.  We LOVE seeing new folks here!

Another member will come along shortly and give you links to some of the first reading material that we recommend to new Quitters.  Don't worry; it's not homework.  It's just reading that is designed to help you understand how to successfully quit smoking.  Most people say that the reading has really helped them.

There is no "right" way to quit.  Each person's Quit is individual to them.  So sort out all the advice and information; take what resonates with you and leave the rest.  But there ARE some common threads in all Quits and it will help to read and talk about them here on EX.  It may help to do a search here on "first days" or "cravings".

Lastly, you CAN do this.  It may help to realize that YOUR addiction to nicotine is NO STRONGER NOR HARDER TO BEAT than anyone else's addiction is/was.  And if WE could quit, SO CAN YOU. 

Again, welcome!    

Sky

elvan

Welcome to EX.  I don't know how much you prepared for this but the more you know about nicotine addiction, the better. Take Nancy's advice and don't be bored, there is always something to do.  You are here, right?   The craves will not last forever, at the beginning, it seems like all you think about is smoking.  Once you get through that, you will find that more and more time passes between you thinking about smoking.  It take time and none of us were very patient at the beginning.  We have all learned a great deal about ourselves, this journey is empowering.  Hang in there, yes, it absolutely does get easier but there are no shortcuts, the only way out is through.  We all had to go through the beginning...hang in there.

Ellen

Fergiebarber

As you may have noticed the people here are very wise, they really seem to care. Today was my third day smoke free and it was hard but people on here helped me. Keep at it, your worth it.

ccrider

Remember to take it 1 day at a time. It will get easier, keep reading the blogs, they give a lot of great info and suggestions.

susan_m

It gets easier, promise!!  Evenings were awful for me those first few days. I had restless legs and I was bitchy and exhausted!!  I swear, there were nights that I went to bed at 630. The good news is that this really bad phase only lasts a few days, then it eases. When the cravings come, don't fight them, just ride the wave....take a deep breath and know that it will pass.  You are stronger than any craving. Just let it pass.  

Hang in there..... You can do it!!!

And, now you understand what Not Another Day One means. NADO keeps me from relapsing!

Congratulations on making the best decision you can make for yourself!

kelsmynme

Thanks so much Susan, it's Friday evening and I'm struggling again, deep breaths and drinking water. I think I might have to go to bed at 8pm lol. I'm anxious about the weekend but one minute at a time. I will not smoke. Enjoy your smoke free Friday! Kelly

0 Kudos
c2q

You got this, kelsmynme.