cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do we have to offer?

Jump to solution

Good morning everyone, I have something weighing heavy on my mind.

As some of you know, I make extra efforts to contact and stay in touch with as many of our new folks as possible. I have been getting many concerns from them as to why we don't have some sort of messaging system, text, boards or chat in place. The best I can offer them is The EX Cafe. THIS IS NOT GOOD!  Of course, I mention that they could blog or start a conversation/discussion. This is not what is wanted and I am being asked to point them to a better place to quit smoking as this one doesn't seem to be sufficient.

Does anyone have any suggestions (Mark)  or something I have forgotten to mention, please help! We are losing people that we could be helping! This is sad!  ~Terrie~  

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Update status is a good place to chat.  If I remember correctly wasn't a chat room /hangout created with Google? What happened to that?  For me seeing who is messaging or online is not major.  I used the message board but it was not like I had to have it. I can still message a person, it's just everybody else can't see it.

I wish all the very best for everyone in their quit.  If there is a better more sufficient place that would be good for them.  In this world I truly have learned AAA ...Adapt, Adjust and Accept.  I hope your caring support will be a cause for the new people to stay.  Have a great day.  You are making a difference here.  I hope they do not take you with them. 

View solution in original post

17 Replies

I Know i'm kind of new here but i think they should have a chat room where everyone can go!!

0 Kudos

I would say blogs or conversations. I personally am not a fan of the EX Cafe. It was a great idea but it's too much scrolling to read and the conversation is mostly about coffee and food. I'm trying to lose weight here! Lol.. Other than that I don't have any other suggestions.

I can see where those features could absolutely be helpful but being the devils advocate I can also see where they turn into crutch tools. There is no better site for quitting smoking than this site on, the old platform or this new platform. It's the people that make this site. I feel this is a powerful SUPPORT group all inclusive. An emergency HELPLINE service would be a good addition. Being a support group, the individual has fewer chances to be nurtured through every hard moment but when that individual does make it through on their own, as they read, study, wait for replies from this support group they are stronger and their quit is stronger. (I think so anyway)... A little old school, work for it, tough it out, you can do it.

With that said, I could see where an emergency chat-line or other feature could be very encouraging and extremely helpful for newbies, absolutely. Who would be responsible for manning the lines 24/7? Would they expect instant replies? and what happens if they don't get them?

PS, I did try other sites and maybe they are advance, but very disjointed as a bonded group.The warm welcome from all the blogs and reach outs is what makes this site SPECIAL! It's the people that really make this site so effective but anything that can reach out to, and keep more people here is worth Serious and Deep Consideration and I agree whole heatedly with Terrie form that perspective. 

Update status is a good place to chat.  If I remember correctly wasn't a chat room /hangout created with Google? What happened to that?  For me seeing who is messaging or online is not major.  I used the message board but it was not like I had to have it. I can still message a person, it's just everybody else can't see it.

I wish all the very best for everyone in their quit.  If there is a better more sufficient place that would be good for them.  In this world I truly have learned AAA ...Adapt, Adjust and Accept.  I hope your caring support will be a cause for the new people to stay.  Have a great day.  You are making a difference here.  I hope they do not take you with them. 

@jackie1_25_15  The google hangout is still there and anybody who wants to can get into it (if they have a google acount).  But it just never "took off."  Join this Google Hangouts conversation (sign in and find the EX Community chat).  We can have a live video chat, or just a typing chat.   

0 Kudos

I have looked at other sites also - and I believe that this one is the best.  We have many new members and I make an attempt to reach out to them also Terrie - I have not heard any negative comments.  On the old platform, so many got lost in the groups, or posting on their own message board, and they never even made it to the blogs - where all the action was at.  Like Jackie said, the "Status Updates" is a good place to chat.  It is the people not the platform that makes this site work.

Ding, ding, ding! I do believe that JACKIE1-25-15‌ 's answer of status update is a good one. I had never really tried the status update before. If you use the pencil above on the right and click status update a box will come up if you @mention someone in there and then type your message they will get it almost instantly. I just tried it and it works beautifully! I am thinking there have been other discussions and suggestions about this, so if you already know, my bad. I am kind of slow to get things, but when this was explained exactly how it works to me. WALA, It works! Thanks, Jackie!    ~Terrie~

What is the difference between status update and sending a message?  Can you send the status update to more than one person?

0 Kudos