cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Really??? Marlboro Sounds Desperate!

In Marlboro’s last frontier, a smokers’ rights group is defending the “human right” to light up

Jakarta, Indonesia

“A man without a vision always falls for his past,” reads Aditia Purnomo’s t-shirt, as he sits in his office west of Jakarta.

At 25, he is the chain-smoking head of the Indonesian smokers’ rights group Komunitas Kretek, and he has one message for “anti-smoking fundamentalists” from the West: butt out.

His organization, which doubles as a trade promotion group for the local cigarette industry, makes its aim clear on its website: “To uphold the independence of the nation against foreign threats to the local commodity.”

And it has some ideas that would be controversial, to say the least, in the West. Among them is that smoking kretek, a local type of clove cigarette, is “not addictive,” can help treat asthma, and even cures bad breath.

It also lists some novel, and not so novel, reasons against tobacco regulation: It will damage the advertising industry, people on scholarships from tobacco companies will lose out, and nicotine is found in vegetables that we eat, so it must be fine in cigarettes.

And the push for stricter tobacco regulation is all part of a culture war from the West, according to Purnomo, who had his first cigarette at 12.

One of his organization’s key activities is visiting cafés and reminding people of the their “constitutionally mandated right to smoke.”

“Smoking is a legal activity which is protected by the law!” reads one of the signs given to cafés to display.

“It is a human right to smoke. Smokers feel like they don’t have their rights anymore,” he says. “We need to stand up for our rights!”

https://qz.com/913404/in-marlboros-last-frontier-a-smokers-rights-group-is-defending-the-human-right...

It gets a lot worse! Read the entire article!

Tags (1)
6 Replies
elvan

This is hair-raisingly frightening.  Perhaps the most frightening part is that I remember feeling that way...like no one had a right to tell me that smoking was not allowed.  I never cared about inside,  I didn't want to expose anyone to second hand smoke but I thought there was no reason I could not smoke outdoors...anywhere.  Now that I don't smoke, I am stunned at how far a smoker's smoke travels to accost me and other nonsmokers.  I am also sick, MUCH sicker than I would ever have been had I never smoked and I have to admit, my illness costs others.  My health care costs are ridiculously high and I have no real idea if any of these expensive treatments and medications are worth anything.

Thanks for sharing this disturbing article, Thomas.

bonnie.s

I was thinking the same thing as you while reading this.  I remember thinking the same way!  Glad I feel different now

0 Kudos
elvan

I am glad you feel differently now too...being smoke free is the best decision I have ever made, hands down.

He's a Tobactivist!

that sounds like a new cult

0 Kudos

Big tobacco will stop at nothing to keep us in their pockets, keeping us spending our money on their products while killing ourselves. One of the few industries that profits from death. I too used to think that it was my right to kill myself and that others should leave me to it. This kind of attitude doesn't help anything. 

Thankfully, quitting must come from within. It cannot be programmed into us to want to quit, and as such the thoughts that we have as addicts may indeed be created by the very addiction that we try to lose. Eventually common sense takes over if we let it. And then the desire to taste freedom makes the lies of addiction begin to pale. So they can try to feed our addiction for us but in the end, most find reality and some act on it!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos