cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Breathe!

Nobody who hasn't been there can imagine how breathlessness can stop you in your tracks when you're talking to somebody or simply trying to walk across a room. 

It can be very embarrassing, frustrating, and scary! But it can also cause instant panic and anxiety which causes more breathlessness - more panic - more breathlessness and it's just plain hard to think straight at this point!

I have Doctors tell be - stop worrying! And my response is - "Oh yeah? You try it!" Your nervous system is inevitably changed by breathlessness and your body is flooded with fight-flight hormones. But who can you fight? Where can you flight? You're stuck!

Practicing breathing techniques when you're not feeling breathless can provide you with valuable tools in that moment that feels so out of control!

https://copdnewstoday.com/2017/02/23/four-breathing-control-techniques/ 

Practice these techniques and you won't feel hung out to dry! Educate your closest Family and Friends to remind you in the moment to do the techniques. Once you get started it gives you something useful to do besides turn blue and wait for the ambulance! The techniques help the panic attacks along with the breathing problems. That's why they're so effective!

Yoga also helps. My yoga teacher taught me many different interesting ways to breathe and to associate them with Power! Now when I have an episode I bring up the Power symbol first and the breathing follows because of conditioning. Before I know it my head has cleared and my body begins to respond.

It really works!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
TerrieQuit

Yes, Thomas, it does happen, just like that! I was at a meeting not long ago and I started coughing and choking and sucking for air, it seems that I forgot everything I knew about what to do, thank goodness there was a retired nurse there that reminded me about pursed-lip breathing and got me calmed downed again. It started with a simple cough and I panicked and it went from there.

Great post and article, thank-you!   ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
elvan

I walked down our back yard yesterday, not planning for the trip back UP, I had to stop several times and I had to really concentrate on pursed lip breathing and on telling myself that I would be alright.  I almost had to sit down but there was no place to sit.  I am going to put a chair out there so I can sit and read.  I need some outdoor time.  I have a yoga instructor who is trying to get me to do a 20 minute session with him, he thinks he can help my breathing and help with some of my back pain by stretching against the scoliosis.  I think I might have to take him up on it. He does free sessions every Thursday at my son and daughter in law's cafe but they are at 7:00AM and I cannot even untwist myself from the bed at that time.

I think the anxiety contributes greatly to our fatigue.  

0 Kudos

I was there once, when I went to the hospital, and your post reminded me of just how scary it is to not be able to breathe. Luckily I had my wife with me when I got to the emergency room, because when I got up to the counter I couldn't even get enough breath to tell them my name, or what was wrong with me. 

To the credit of the hospital staff, I never saw anyone move as fast as they did to get me into a room to be stabilized. I had already read a lot of Thomas's posts and the breathing exercises are the only reason I made it to the hospital, I think. Our hospital is about thirty minutes away. 

Since I've lived through that experience, I've been quite careful as far as keeping an eye out for symptoms and doing the right things to keep those things as under control as I can. But one can never learn enough. To know one's enemy intimately is to know how to defeat it!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

cbgerber

Thank you Thomas for sharing this article.  I too find myself short of breath while doing certain chores around the house.  Walking up stairs is certainly one especially if I am carrying a load of laundry.  I will practice these techniques each day.   

0 Kudos