cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Mandolinrain

Newly diagnosed C.O.P.D.

I started with shortness of breath a year AFTER I quit smoking, now almost i2 and a half years after my quit....I started coughing all the time. Dry cough. 

Anyway, I am not on any inhaler or O2 but am considering going back for another evaluation by a different Doc. I have MS also. I get this thing called a MS Hug and recently more often...it feels like a heart attack. It's really my intercostal muscles having their own little party...and I have GERD. 

I am terrified of getting lung cancer. One of my dearest friends was got it a few years after she quit smoking and she has died.

Not trying to be hypochondriac here, but this is all scaring me and I'm a retired surgical assistant so I know enough to scare the beejesus out of me....seems to be working.

Am grateful that Terrie brought this group to my attention. Am anxious to understand and know more about it and what to do. Thanks for listening-Missy

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
9 Replies

Hi Missy!

As a health care provider you know the importance of early diagnosis for anything. Have you taken a Spirometry Test? It is a simple breathing test somewhat like a breathalyzer to take. A Spirometry Test will indicate whether you have any lung damage and how much lung capacity you have compared to expected amount for your age and size.

Early diagnosis gives you many options for lifestyle changes that could prevent the rapid decline of lung capacity that can happen with untreated COPD. 

Take Heart! You have already done the most important thing you can do for yourself - Quit Smoking!

Considering your MS it would be better to know than not to know  

I also have GERD which is a very common comorbidity with COPD but I don't know about MS as much. Perhaps that contributes to your GERD. Mine has been controlled by simple nutrition choices. I cheat - I pay!

I hope you consider getting tested! Your lungs will love you for it!

Thanks for starting this conversation!

(((((MISSY)))))

Mandolinrain

Actually no test has been run . Thats why I questioned the diagnosis, but I also know its more than likely correct due to thirty years of a pack  day. I am calling to set up an apt. today to be seen by a pulmonary Doc. 

Recently I have been running out of breath just at the end of a sentence when Im talking. That has never happened to me before so its scary.  Is this a common symptom? Even though I have a medical background, I am still new to this so its great to be able to discuss this with others who are in the same boat, so to speak.

Anyway, Thomas....Thanks for this group.  I am sure I will have a lot of questions in the near future and your right ....I need to address this now.

My GERD is under control, but like your, I pay for it when I eat something I shouldn't. I love spicy food but it does not love me back. I'll keep the group up-dated on my appt. results. Thanks again!

Hugs back at ya!

0 Kudos
Mortalzeus

Missy, my heart sank as I read your post, please keep us up to date on any additional diagnosis' and/or testing.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. 

Mandolinrain

Thank you so much. I plan to get into a pulmonary Doc soon to see whats going on and get help. I appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers

0 Kudos
Mortalzeus

Great and thank you so much!

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I had an upper chest CAT scan which can detect lung cancer in very early stages. It was not covered by my health insurance but a local hospital has a low-cost program for eligible candidates. One of the criteria were having a 30 pack year smoking history. i.e. smoking one pack a day for 30 years or 2 packs a day for 15 years and I needed to get a prescription from my doctor who suggested it to me. 

Mandolinrain

Thats interesting. I may also request a chest X-ray. Cant hurt and may give me some peace of mind.I also smoked off and on for 30 years. I am so glad to not depend on them anymore. But I am scared at what damage they have caused now

0 Kudos

Hi there!

Good to meet you. My COPD diagnosis came about a year ago, and when first getting a diagnosis like that, it can feel devastating! The first time we lose our breath and don't know why can really be scary. But once we know we have the condition then the power of knowledge can help us through so much! Thanks for posting. I think we can all learn from each other to the benefit of everyone!

Mandolinrain

Good to meet you as well. I just read your other out and commented. I hope to get some answers soon, it is scary. Even with my medical background, I am not that familiar with this. Anyway, thank you for sharing your post and story. I hope others do as well.

0 Kudos