cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tcbear

Day 4 :/

Day 4 of my quit and the anxiety is almost overwhelming. Came here to read and speak to try and overcome. I'm still very much determined. Passed 2 major hurdles last night- drinking and a nice dinner w/o cigs. Feeling pretty good about that but know I've a long ways to go and many more hurdles to clear. 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
susan_m

The anxiety will get better!  Congratulations on your dinner last night.  Those personal milestones are so important.  

When the anxiety hits, change your environment.  Stand up.  Stretch.  Walk to get a glass of water.  Make an immediate change - it will help.

Plus, you did the smartest thing ever... You reached out to us!  We've got you.  Breathe!!!

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Thank you! Being here does help quite a bit. I keep challenging myself with not completely avoiding ritualistic daily enjoymen's such as coffee in the mornings, glass of wine in the evenings, etc.. I think avoidance is denial and better to face it head on than postpone the inevitable. I realize that not everybody has that kind of strength, especially if it's their first or second quit attempt. Having said that, I'm questioning myself now... Am I challenging myself or am I purposely torturing myself!?   Lol.  

0 Kudos
sophia-22

Hi and Congratulations on 4 days smoke free! That's great, pretty much all of nicotine's physical cravings should be gone and now it's psychological. I personally waited about three weeks into my quit to have an alcoholic drink. Alcohol is a strong trigger and combine that with lowered inhibitions and your flirting with disaster. I think we have to out smart this addiction because nicotine is a very powerful drug. Your quit is very precious so be sure to be vigilant, watch out for those triggers and have a plan. 

0 Kudos
Tcbear

My plan is agressive and straight forward. Meet the nicotine adicted ego mind head on and conquer each battle as it arrives until it surrenders and leaves. 

0 Kudos
sophia-22

To each his own. I wish you the best

0 Kudos
susan_m

Haha...you're talking to someone who felt the exact same. I was very aggressive in pushing my boundaries, much more so than most.  Check out one of my blogs from Day 5. Clearly, I agree that avoidance is denial.  

/blogs/susan_m-blog/2016/12/09/day-5-contd 

0 Kudos
Tcbear

You ROCK Susan! Keep on truckin done that smoke free highway!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Putting yourself in situations to challenge yourself when you are only on Day Four does need to be questioned.  It's kinda' like smoking "just one" to prove to yourself that you have beaten the addiction (hint: most folks, in my experience, don't win that one!)

You might find this article informative about alcohol and smoking: 

drinking and smoking article: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/09/smoke-when-drinking-alcohol_n_8511208.html

For a bit, your quit needs to remain your #1 priority. You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker ---- so why would you torture yourself by repeating your life, including triggers and associations, as a smoker?  If that's how you want to go about it - OK with me - but I did want to have you think a bit about it.

(as always - take what you need and leave the rest!)

Nancy

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Nancy. Thank you for your input but I would have to disagree. It is nothing like having just one cigarette  because I didn't have a cigarette. What I had was a dose of my existing life without the cigarette. If you eliminate all things in life enjoyed because they were triggers, your missing those joys will only lead to a greater risk of relapse because of the continued association.  

I do realize though that unconventional methods don't work for everyone. Good luck with yours.