cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

panjoshi302

How to handle stress ?

I have recently joined the community.

My major reason for smoking was stressful work. 

Now since I have quit, I often go through stressful situation and the only thing I want to do is smoke.

With various advice to avoid it are like below. I want from your own experience if you are doing something else which will be useful for me.

1. Change focus to something else e.g. walk , gym , listening music, read something else

2. Drink water / eat something you like

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SimplySheri

Have you ever looked up the definition of stress? 

~~A state of emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances~~

So find out how you feel when you are stressed.  If your body tenses, make a conscious effort to relax the muscles.  If you feel like screaming or yelling, simply do it without the vocal cords.  Open your mouth, tense your body, and blow out air.  Never try to hurt yourself through smoking or other addictions because you're stressed.

Addiction makes us think we are stressed whether we are or not simply because our bodies crave another hit of nicotine.  Remember that many people live life and their stress without ever smoking.  Use a stress ball, practice deep breathing (It is excellent and can be done anywhere other than driving).  Dance, sing, be silly.  Or even recognize that you are better than whatever is stressing you out.

Learn about addiction and the tricks it plays on your mind.  Best of luck to you!!  I know you have the ability to quit   We all do.

welcome, great article on here 100 Things to Do Instead of Smoke.  I used a stress ball and lots and lots of sugarfree gum.  Some like flavored toothpicks.  Some like rolling like a tube of chapstick between their fingers.  I was like a wound up rubber band when I quit back in 2016.  Use the search (magnifying glass) and type in the things you are wondering about, all kinds of blogs and discussions or I just like to call them articles will come up.  If you ever need help, please feel free to contact me or just simply start a discussion or blog and type in HELP or not in caps.  Someone is bound to come running

JACKIE1-25-15

Here is link for additional information on stress and quit smoking.  
We have been brainwashed that smoking relieves stress however it is quite the opposite.  
Smoking adds to the stress.  Educating yourself is very important.  There will come a time that you will realize that smoking adds to it.  It is a process that you come to relearn.Stay with the no matter  you will not smoke NOPE.  not one puff ever.and you will be there less stress and no cig. 

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/10-ways-reduce-stress-while-you-quit?page=1

Breakinchains

Half of this battle is realizing (as Jackie says above) that smoking only adds to the stress.  Realize that every time you take a drag you are only making it worse. That is a powerful realization that helped me to realize smoking did me absolutely no good. Eliminate the desire to smoke and quitting becomes much easier. 

panjoshi302

Unfortunately I couldn't hold on to promise and slipped two times.

I do realize that there is only one solution that is self realization as said by 

Breakinthechains

I pledge not to slip again !!!

0 Kudos
susan_m

Hi Panjoshi. I'm sorry to read that you've slipped, and respect that you're putting the cigarettes down again. 

Have you spent time figuring out what caused you to slip?  Have you picked a course of action if you face those challenges again?  Sometimes a simple thing like getting up and going to another room makes all the difference. 

The most important thing you can do is connect with people who want to help you succeed. This site is really good at that....stay close!

0 Kudos
elvan

I tried as hard as I could to "beat up" the stress...picture a very short of breath 67 year old lady with advanced scoliosis punching the air or a pillow...just punching NOTHING seems to help AND it makes me laugh.  Laughing is an incredible way to release stress.  I know that when an really intense situation in the ER or ICU was resolved, there was ALWAYS laughter, it was like letting off all of the steam.  During a crazy, busy time, we really don't usually have TIME to think about how stressed we are.  When we are smoking, we are always thinking about when we can have our next break.  It takes time to accept that and to understand it.  You can do this, try to prepare yourself for whatever led to your slip so you will be prepared.