cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

belverlynd

What can i do to decrease withdrawal symptoms.

I have sinus problems, and a headache. I have not smoked since sunday around 6 pm. I have 2 ml zonnic gum, but have only used about 4 pieces.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Giulia

Welcome A'Board!  I'm not a NRT user, but I know from personal experience the more fluids (e.g. water) we drink generally, the better it is for our bodies.

There are many questions you need to ask and answer for yourself.  It's hard for us give you advice when we don't really understand the nature of your sinus problems and headache.  Sinus and headaches usually go hand in had.  Are sinus and headaches common for you?  Or do you sense that they're due to quitting smoking?  Or have then been exacerbated by quitting?  The following is a quote I pulled up from a google search.

When you say sinus problems, i would assume that you mean congestion and stuffiness? Funny thing about quitting smoking - the cells in your body start working like they're supposed to.
Tissues in the nose, throat and windpipe (upper part of lungs) start moving again and making fluids. It's a good thing. Stay with it

I never went through any particular physical withdrawal symptoms, so I can't really give you any personal advice on that.   For me it was 99 3/4% psychological.  Others I'm sure will weigh in with their experiences that will be more helpful.  Stay tuned!

TerrieQuit

Hello. how are you doing? Welcome to EX! I am glad you have quit! Your body will go through many changes during your first couple months of being quit. Some you'll like and some a little uncomfortable. I suggest that you read dale's page What To Expect In The First Four Months. If that link doesn't work try this JonesCarpeDiem‌ There is some very useful information there. Congratulations on your quit!

Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!
I would like to recommend a group called, The daily Pledge here is a link
https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/celebrations-events/blog/2017/02/01/the-daily-pledge-fe...
It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!
At the top of the page just under the title, it says the latest reply, click that and it will take you to the last person that pledged, comment on the pledge and take that person's hand and promise not to smoke, and then offer your free hand to the next pledge, we keep each other strong in our quits! You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it!
Hope to see you there! ~Terrie!~

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Not every physical symptom can be attributed to quitting smoking!  Some might be - but, if so, they will disappear as your body adjusts to life without it.

Using that small amount of gum, you are reintroducing nicotine back into your system each time - and firing up your receptors and starting withdrawal again each time. Might you try the patches if you feel you need an NRT?  That keeps a steady flow of nicotine into your system, and you can gradually reduce it over time.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

I have chronic sinus problems and when I get really bad headaches, unless my sinus drainage shows signs of infection such as blood or thick colored mucous (sorry about that visual), I mix 1/8 tsp of salt with 1/2 cup of warm water.  Don't add more salt because it will burn the tissues.  I hold one nostril shut and use the other nostril as a "straw"...the water loosens the drainage and helps it to come out, then I reverse and do the other side.  Sometimes, it is pretty uncomfortable but it always gives me relief.  I also am a fan of the generic Alka Seltzer cold plus, it takes the headache away.  Your feelings are likely magnified by your withdrawal but things WILL get easier, they will get better if you stick around.

Like Nancy says, we are here to help you every step of the way.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
bonniebee

ex quit smoking.jpg    I see you got lots of advice already ! I just want to " follow you " and welcome you to our Ex Community I smoked for 52 years and next week will be my 2 year anniversary ! Ex cannot do all the work it is your quit but  I give this community so much credit for my success !!!  That is why I am still here on Ex  I love the people here who have helped me get this far !

This is a new format very different from the Ex of a few weeks ago but the same in that we are all still here to help each other , to help the newbies......that would be you .......and to all learn together how to navigate on this new platform .

I was thinking it may be easier for you since you are new here what do you think ? Are you finding it confusing and are you getting the help you need ?

0 Kudos
bonniebee

In answer to your question about withdrawal symptoms first I used the patch which I found to be the best for me in controlling the withdrawal symptoms I also carried the lozenges in the early weeks and popped one in my mouth for a few minutes if I had an "extra hard crave" .

The second thing that comes to my mind is a straw cut into three pieces this really helped me with the hand to mouth habit ! It also was great to keep me from eating through every crave ! I had a hard time in the beginning with candy, I had sugar free hard candies and gum but they gave me canker sores in my mouth so I had to stop using them but if you can use them great ! 

The third thing that was really helpful is deep breathing I would take 3 deep breaths very slowly inhale and very slowly exhale on the last exhale relax your entire body into  the exhale breath in through your mouth out through your nose ....by the time I did this the crave would be gone . You can do this wherever you are !

Of coarse a huge thing to help with withdrawal is to come here and blog and  in your blog just be real if you are having a hard time blog about it  be honest and be sure to come here before you decide to pick up again remember N.O.P.E. an acronym meaning Not One Puff Ever ! Many of us on ex had previous failed quits because we did not adhere to that commitment ! God Bless You !

Keep in touch you have made a very important decision stick to it !

JACKIE1-25-15

Hi I see you have a lot of information from your question. i will be brief so that you can absorb it.  I believe one way to decrease withdrawal is to try and remain as calm as possible.  2) Breathing is another way to help.  Let it pass they do not last that long.  If you ever experience floating, think about floating and enjoy the ride of a wave. 

Tyme.2.Kwit

I heard that lemon essential oil can reduce cravings. So I bought a diffuser, and some lemon essential oil ($15for the set at Walmart) .. my quit date isn't until the 11th. But I tried it out, thinking it probably wouldn't work, and for 3 hours I didn't even think about smoking. I never go that long without smoking!

elvan

That lemon essential oil is GREAT!  I would recommend drinking tons of water and literally flushing the nicotine out of your body.  I did not use a patch or gum or any other nicotine, I wanted it OUT and it really wasn't the physical part that was hard, it was the psychological and I had to work on that with this site and with myself. I had to be open to dealing with things in new ways.  I have never been sorry.