cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katherineu

Dizziness

Haven't smoked in two weeks and today I am experiencing much light hotheadedness and feeling off balance?
Is this part of going through withdraw?  I'm talking myself out of an anxiety attack at the moment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I remember feeling a little light headed in the beginning.  Is that what is causing your anxiety?  Do something to lessen your stress - maybe a short walk?

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Feeling any better katherineu‌?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
elvan

After two weeks, I would not expect you to feel so dizzy but there are people who say that ex smokers experience dizziness because they have forgotten how to breathe.  I think the recommendation is to take deep breaths and let the air out very slowly, like you are blowing up a balloon or blowing bubbles.  It will keep more oxygen in your lungs and might help with the dizziness.  Concentrating on breathing might help with settling anxiety as well.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Make sure you are staying hydrated. 

0 Kudos
elvan

This post was two weeks ago, I really wish she would update.  I didn't think about the hydration and that's really important.

0 Kudos
katherineu

Its been a month this week that I quit smoking.  I saw my doctor that week I was having dizziness and she said that was perfectly normal for me to experience dizziness or feel light headed.  My doctor said there are many withdraw symptoms when you stop smoking and I quit cold turkey.  Also, The week of my original was post was the same week the dizzy spells went away and I am feeling much better.  

I will say though I am quiet frustrated and angry, I'm sure its probably due to not smoking and I'm still adjusting to my new lifestyle.  For all you non smokers no matter if its day one or going years since your last puff, don't ever look back and stay positive.  If you ever feel the urge to smoke please contact your someone from your support system or get online with your support group and read other stories, we are and have been through the crazy ride and understand how bad some days can be and then there are days you just breeze through.

God Bless!

elvan

EXcellent advice, there is pretty much always someone on EX who has been where you are or who is headed there.  I am not sure how this new site works but you used to be able to click on someone's avatar and then read their earlier blogs, there was also a much more defined "about me" section so you could look at someone and feel like you pretty much knew them.  There are many changes with the new platform and I think new people might have an advantage over the rest of us who have been around for a while.

This really is a crazy ride, up and down, good days and bad days but, then again, that's pretty much what life is, we are just feeling it in its entirety now instead of through smoke colored glasses.

0 Kudos

Our bodies make a lot more oxygen to counteract the carbon monoxide smoking puts in our bloodstream. When we stop smoking, it takes around a month or so for your body to adjust back to normal oxygen levels of a non smoker. Our bowels are affected quite awhile as well as insomnia.

0 Kudos