cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jarett

Can you . . ?

Thank you everyone for the replies to my previous post. It has definitely giving me the motivation to want to use Chantix to help me quit. I just have one last question before I begin using Chantix.

According to everyone, Chantix should be taken after eating a full meal and with water. That's all good except for the fact it says you should take it in the morning, and I am not a breakfast eater. I have never been a morning person. Aside from the fact that I don't get up in time to fix and eat breakfast before work, eating early in the morning has never really agreed with me. My first full meal doesnt happen until lunch time. Can I take my first dose of the day after lunch? Once I get to the two doses a day, can I take one at lunch and then again at dinner or should they be spread out further?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
becky8

I have taken it twice, last year and this year. I am not much of a morning eater. I take it and if i feel sick i eat a couple crackers. That seems to work for me. But it only made me feel sick feeling the 1st couple weeks i took it and then it quit.
I take my am pill at 4am... eat at about 8 or 9 ish and take my second at about 3 pm. The pm pill has never caused me to feel sick.
0 Kudos
maddie2

I don't see any problem with taking one after lunch and one after dinner. But I don't think you need a large mea to take Chantix. How about a muffin or something like that after you get to work and then take the morning pill?
0 Kudos
donna22

I am taking Chantix, I don't eat a big breakfast either but I ususallyl have a carton of yogurt and then take the pill and I always drink a full glass of water...a couple time I haven't taken the 1st one until about 10am. I did have quite bad nasea, but the good news was it only lasted the 1st couple days and then stopped, I have dreams but they aren't horrible ones and I actually remember them, the only problem is I have lost my dog in almost every one of them and then I wake up before I find her....weird
Good LUck to you I think the Chantix will be a big Help
Donna----This is my 4th day of no cigs
0 Kudos

It's also my fourth day off of smokes.
0 Kudos

You need to spread Chantix out over roughly 12 hours, but no it doesn't matter which 12 hours you pick. The reason for the spread has to do with maintenance of theraputic levels of nicotinic receptor blockade. As far as taking it with a meal, I am not a breakfast person either. I eat a bagel and wait ten minutes then take my meds, no problem.
0 Kudos
melinda2

Sometimes all I eat is half a fiber 1 bar and I'm fine.
0 Kudos
BobbiBillard

Yeah... I'd like to know too. I don't take mine with food because I have another morning pill that requires you to take it on an empty stomach (1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after). I'm taking both of these medicines at the same time because it is easier for me to remember them both if I do.
0 Kudos
rob17

I'd say if you don't have any adverse affects from not taking it with food, then don't worry about it. The only reason it's suggested is that many people suffer from nausea from not eating with it. Maybe the other med you're taking counteracts the Chantix.

Best wishes on your quit!

Cheers,
Rob
0 Kudos
lmcclary

is that pill you are taking on an empty stomach by any chance synthroid? That is the pill I have to take on an empty stomach and if that is the case not only do you have to take it on an empty stomach but you should not take it with any other medications either. FYI just incase you didn't know
0 Kudos