cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kerryanne

Why Kerryanne Quit.

This is a good topic. 2.5 years after my final smoke it's good to remind myself exactly why I did this. I simply couldn't stand myself first of all. I woke up every morning with such trouble breathing. My first breath in the morning ended up a coughing jag. I hated waking up. The whole process was getting harder and harder to do each morning. I was in dreadful shape. I didn't want to do any physical activity because it made my lungs burn.

I had a back injury in 2004 where I herniated a couple discs. One day while sitting in the chiropractor's office I smelled smoke. It was on me. I tried to not smoke on my way there in the car because the office was small enough where people could smell it and I was starting to realize it wasn't cool to stink. I was embarrassed when I started going to physical therapy and I was doing simple exercises in the gym and gasping for air.

It was around this time that I found a smoking support group on the internet and began to investigate the idea of quitting. I had all the reasons in the world to quit, but somehow I just wasn't doing it. I "tried" a couple times that year to do it, but my heart wasn't in it no matter how much I tried to kid myself... and my friends on that board. I knew I was going to smoke again eventually. And so I kept slipping up.

After almost two years of rehab for my back and nothing being successful, it was time to look at surgery. I am a court reporter and I knew what the doctor was about to tell me when we spoke of my options. He told me straight out I needed a spinal fusion and there was basically no chance of it being sucessful if I was still smoking and sucking the oxygen out of my bones. (I'm going to insert a little trivia here.... in case anyone ever wonders. I heard a doctor say that he can tell a smoker when they go in for surgery by the color of their bones.) If that's not enough to scare someone into quitting, I don't know what is.

Anyway, since this wasn't the first time I had heard this story about unsuccessful fusions, I decided there was no way I was going to allow a doctor to go in there, put my life at risk in surgery in the first place just to have it not be successful. And so I had my final smoke a week before surgery or so and I have never looked back. And I have never been so happy with anything I ever did in my life. I feel like such a fool for letting cigarettes mess with my health, my welbeing and my life for so long. I am no longer a prisoner to my addiction and I can happily say that my fusion was a complete success. I healed quicker than we expected and I am back to all activities I want to do. Waking up is a pleasure these days.

To further boost my position on this matter, I would like to tell you about my cousin who I love dearly and wish she would quit. She had a car accident and basically had the same fusion surgery I had, only on a different part of her spine. She has had three - yes, three - surgeries since because her spine refuses to fuse. She still smokes. This is no coincidence and it makes me cringe every time I see her light a smoke because I know that she will never ever be free from pain as long as she continues to disregard the doctors. I know she wants to quit. I even know she's cut down. But it's not enough. The only way she will get her life back is to never have another smoke again. And yet, seeing how well I healed and being an addict, she will not recognize the truth. Unfortunately, until that happens, I will watch my cousin suffer.

So that's why I quit in a nutshell.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
val_b

congrats on 2.5 years with out puff, I know it was not easy, but you made it seem easy once you made your mind up. I know this is my last attemp at quitting. I put a value on my quit. that value is I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN. So I go around this website and get all the support I can so I don't take another puff. thank you for shareing.
0 Kudos
doreen1

Thanks for sharing your story, Kerryanne. As everyone adds their story, I am seeing such different and diverse reasons. My husband is a good example of what you described, too. He had back surgery in 1993 (no fusion) and smoked well over a pack a day. He ended up reherniating that same area and had to have more surgery. He had been smoke free for over five years at that point. The first time he was out of work for over 7 years. The second time he was back at work in around 8 weeks. While he did have some complications the first go-round, I honestly believe (and so does he) that being smoke free made all the difference the second go-round. Smoking robs our bodies of oxygen. A well oxygenated body heals much quicker than an oxygen deprived body. I pray that your cousin will see the light and quit smoking for good before she ends up having to have yet another surgery.
0 Kudos
lynn5

2.5 years! Wow - you really did it. It is sad that it takes such a major catastrophe in order for us to quit!!! Congratulations. I hope my 4 weeks turns into 4 years then 4 more, etc. etc. etc. Thank you for sharing!
0 Kudos