cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tracie

Dangerous Side Effects of Chantix

There have been many stories of deadly "night terrors","sleep driving/attacks". Many of these stories made national news due to lawsuits and criminal charges; I understand that in some cases the mixture of alcohol was a component in these tradegies. Have the makers of the drug settled out of court or has the FDA asked them to further case trials? I've noticed a decrease in doctors prescribing it now.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
christine2

Wow.. I haven't heard anything about this. And this is my second time using Chantix. And I have to admit, I'm totally guilty of a couple glasses of wine in the evening, especially now that I don't have my smokes to rely on. I'm curious to see the responses. Be sure to post whatever you find out. Thanks!
0 Kudos
susan39

I haven't heard about those stories. I am on day 13 of Chantix. I have some stomach upset mostly in the evening. And I have weird dreams. My dad and his wife tried Chantix they said they had nightmares. I dream alot, I wake up a few times throughout the night. Since I quit smoking day 6 now, I have had a dream almost every night about smoking. One night I woke up telling myself - no don't smoke in a dream. My doctor did warn of suicidal thoughts and mood swings being on Chantix. I had some mood swings the first week, but that is getting better. I think for others who smoke and want to try Chantix, it would be too bad if they took it of the market. I feel it has really helped me.
0 Kudos
sheryl2

I have a couple of friends who have been on Chantix for quite a while. Neither one of them spoke of night terrors. Their main complaint was stomach upset and trouble sleeping. I have been on it for 7 days now and have felt nothing. I am more tired and I talked to my pharmacist and since I am on other medications, he feels this might happen to me for awhile.
0 Kudos
danielle7

Hi,
I read all of the posts on this page. I have one question. I have certain stresses in my life that may affect my quitting but if I try Chantix, what would be good ways to quitting and managing stress? I have tried more than a handful of suggestions but they don't work. Also, has anyone experienced any weight gain if not any side effects? Just getting the facts so I'm prepared! Thanks!
Danielle
0 Kudos
sylvie

some people who have a tendacy to be down .....on life....might be hard on them
my self, have been quit for 75 days, took chantix for a month in a half.....at firts weird dreams, i loved that, so much fun, lol!
mostly was very constipated, not fun at al...after about 5 weeks, i was getting a bit testy.....bad mood, but of course this is common, just quit smoking, it is a big deal..... so i gradualy quit taking chantix, i have been of it now for almost 2 weeks...
just keep yourself in check, give yourself, also, a break! not easy to quit, and it will make you a bit crasy: totaly normal, lol
good luck
0 Kudos