cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sylvie

sorry...have to ask this.....anyone having problems with constipation?

.......it is my worst side effect ......so much so that i decided to take only one pill at lunch and no more after. Any body else, as bad as I ?
Today is my 12th day, not always easy, but i'm sticking to it, no excuses:no smoking ever again!
Thanks for your input.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
cindi

Hi Sylvie.
Tomorrow will be day number five for me, not smoking. How many years had you smoked ? 35 here.
Back to your question...my worst side effect has been strange dreams/insomnia....but I am noticing today I am feeling bloated. I am thinking I should start eating cereal or dried prunes or something in the morning...I have never been good at eating fiber or breakfast for that matter but I don't like feeling this way and my Dr wants me on Chantix for 6 months so...it's time to do something different or suffer. Good luck let me know if you get any other responses that help. Thanks.
PS I have been taking 2 blue pills daily. Thinking of cutting the night one in half because I can't sleep well. But I thought I should wait to cut back at least two weeks.
0 Kudos
sylvie

Hi Cindi,
Congrats on your quitting!
You asked me how long i had been smoking,ouch....i never thought of looking it that way...it hurts...I'm 52 and started at 14, you do the math!!! its about time I quit!!!
The dreams for me lasted about 1 week and a half, I kind of enyoyed it, was like beeing in a movie !!
I found when i did not take my 2 pills everyday, the smoking ideas came back in my head pretty quick....sooooo better constipated than smohing? yep!
I eat better than ever before, salads, raw vegie, fiber.....now this morning I,m starting on hot oatmeal, really not my favorite food, but i will try anything!
This morning i went to refill my prescription of chantix and the pharmacist sold me "Docusate Sodium" pills to help with constipation, its not habit forming....i will let you know how it goes!
You know if you ccant sleep well ,you could take your pill earlier....like around 4hpm, with a banana or something?
Hang in there Cindi!!
0 Kudos

Eat a fatty rib eye steak with 3 cups of strong coffee and warn those around you.
IMMEDIATELY!!!
0 Kudos
cindi

Congratulations to you as well ! After reading your response I thought maybe the new way of eating might be the problem ?? Too much fiber all of the sudden. Just a thought. Hope the pills help. Let me know if they work.
I just turned 50 ( been telling myself for 20 years that I would quit at 50 ) and started at age 15.
Are you having any problems with weight gain ? My doctor wants me walking 3 miles a day.....
0 Kudos
janette

Cindi - 32 years for me; I'm 48 and started at 16. This is round #2 - did this last year and quit for 4 months and then started back. #@%&$ ! As for weight gain, I think a little bit is to be expected. I gained a bunch on my first try, so am doing things a bit differently this time. I'm walking 30 minutes in the morning and spending 30-45 minutes in the evening on the mini-tramp. It's a LOT easier on the knees. I started off last time at 125 and went up to 145; starting this time at 128 and holding...... 😃

Best of luck to you, and hang in there! I felt SO much better after 4 months last time, I could KICK myself for ever picking them up again.
0 Kudos
cindi

Hi ! Did you take Chantix for 3 months the first time ? My Dr wants me to take it for 6 months.
This is only my 5th day of being smoke free but I feel a decrease in appetite...hopefully that won't change.
I like to walk on my treadmill 45 min or so a day but haven't for the last week, been concentrating on this new challenge.
Good luck this time...you CAN do it ! Thanks for your reply, I'm off to the treadmill right now.
0 Kudos
sylvie

You think, to much fiber? I didn't know it was possible....lol you gave me something to think about!
First week, didn't have much appetite either.....second week...and now i'm starting my 3rd weeks (YAHOOOOO!) food has now becoming an obsession....actualy a battle lol, not to eat sweets,, I'm winning with great effort!!!
if I have to put un a few kilos so be it....I will concentrate on THAT after words.
We do have to exercise anyway, dont we, in the 50s it is a must.....Check another forum by Angeleyes gives a few pointers on keeping fit!
I'm off to the dentist.....at least i wont stink of smoke!! somethinf else to be proud of!

JONESCARP: will that really work, or plain kill me lol! thanks for stopping by!
0 Kudos
cindi

Don't get me wrong...fiber is a good thing ! lol It's just that you mentioned that you were eating better than ever before. It's just going from very little fiber to alot can have the same effect....you has to increase slowly.
Oh great so week 3 is when the appetite comes back? I better not end up gaining very much because I refuse to buy bigger clothes...if I do then I guess I will just stay home cuz I will have nothing to wear. lol
I quit working about 4 years ago so besides golf and the treadmill I don't get alot exercise...guess I better start planinning putting forth a little more effort in that department.. Have a great day !
0 Kudos
janette

Yes, I did 3 months, and I would definitely advise the 6 months - my doc did 6 this time as well. I don't think we're as strong as we think at the end of just 3 months. 😉 The hardest part for me will be keeping the weight off, but now that I know that was an issue last time, I'm ready for it. Trying to lower my cholesterol as well, so the diet I'm on now fit in well with the smoking cessation.

Thanks for responding, and keep posting with your progress!! It's so energizing to see others succeeding! (or does misery just love company?? =)) j/k!)
0 Kudos