cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sylvie

Have you seen the ad on TV from hungry lawyers about Chantix?

I saw it on ABC just before the news.
You see the box of Chantix, and the words suicide in big letters....
they are telling people if one in their family commited suicide while on chantix, to call them to sue.....
I have heard about people comminting suicide on chantix.....it his so very very sad, since i suppose they value their lifes since they where quitting smoking......
i am not a doctor but....here it goes.....i have a hard time believing that pills can make you do that, unless you already have tendacies......then i guess it could be dangerous....but so would any other pill....mood altering or otherwise...
and now for alot of people that might have found help with chantix...they will be scare to take it....
its my opinion, what is yours?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SaraSmile

I heard about that too, a lawyers commercial is what it is. Studies show if you're already a depressed peson, suicidal thoughts are more pronounced when adding Chantix to the mix. Those are few and far between! I am on my last week of Chantix. I can attest to the ups and downs of the whole thing! Geez, just quitting smoking makes you depressed! But the UP side is, I have 72 days smoke free and I owe it all to Chantix! Your best bet is to have your doctor there every step of the way! Keep them informed of the way you're feeling and just let the pill and you will power work! WILL POWER? Yes, I said will power?! The pill doesn't do it for you, you have to have will power! I still struggle, at 72 days with cravings! Face it people, WE ARE ADDICTED TO CIGARETTES! It's hard to give it all up BUT.........it's a true possibility! I for one, don't want to be connected to a hose that supplies oxygen to my system just so I can breath, do you????
QUITTING IS HARD WORK NO MATTER HOW YOU QUIT, PATCHES, GUM, LOSENGENZ, PILLS.............
If only..... has crossed my mind more than once........if only I had never started!
Hind sight IS 20/20!
WORD ~ Sara ~ 72 days quit AND STILL STRUGGLING!
GOD BLESS YOU AND AMERICA
(And my non smoking husband that doesn't have a CLUE)!
AMEN
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
Theresa11

Sara and Sylvie, As a health care professional I'm going to tell you that common sense dictates. I know that everyone who is taking chantix must know about the propaganda and therefore inform your support people that if you start acting like a freak then tell me and I'll go get help. While it's true that depression and forms of mental issues can sneak up on you it is not from taking one pill ....please if you have the tendency torward depression or are having an episode of depression then chantix may not be for you, but lets live it one day at a time and lets face it quitting smoking is not easy so there is a bit of sadness that goes with the " why the hell do I have do this now" One more thing everything in the medical field is about liabilty so if chantix doesn't say that this drug has been associated with suicide someone can sue them. Kinda like the lady that burnt herself with hot coffee at McDonald's ...remember?
0 Kudos
craig-goral

hi I saw the add on tv also and it also mentioned if you or someone you know has developed diabetes to contact them as well. For those who have missed the add the number is 1-800-328-5115. I totally agree with the first part regarding suicidal tendancies. When I first spoke to my doctor about quitting he wanted to put me on chantix or the other one (i forget the name) but he was worried about all of the studies on the possibility of suicidal tendancies. so he put me on wellbutrin SR which is working for me (over 92 days now and counting). But with the diabetes possiility I would suggest that anyone talk about new info with their doctor, and at least keep an eye on your glucose levels just in case.
I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just dont want to loose any of my fellow ex-ers from a side effect.
0 Kudos