cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mustangsally3

What makes us feel inferior?

What causes us to have; doubt, fear, and inferiority. I know that my life has thrown me a lot of curve balls making it that much harder to quit smoking but considering I personally am going on 34 days smoke-free now has got to say something about my character and my strength and I want to be here to pick you up and help you to not feel inferior ever again with every awesome, passing, smoke-free day!

I personally have been abused and beaten down physically, psychilogically, emotionally, sexually and I want to be a leader and lead others by my example. How can I help you as my reader and group member to not feel inferior anymore?

Talk to me,

Carolyn 🙂  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pao777

Hi Carolyn. I had an abusive childhood as well and ironically my dad's current [30 years married] wife wants me to come and stay with him for several days while she visits her very ill mother in Dallas. It is because of her that someone has loved my dad after my mother had to leave him. My sister and I visit him in a near by [Houston] town about twice a year. I have been praying about this. My dad is unable to be alone due to his age and inability to think, walk and prepare his own meals alone. His wife is aware of our history. My sister won't help. I feel I have to due to their financial situation. She indicated she'll need my help like this three or four times in the coming months. I will be in a tiny town with nowhere to go with my dad. I have my exercise routine, Bible reading and Duoling (taking Spanish lessons). I really cannot leave him very long anyway. Maybe a short walk or a quick trip to the grocery store. She wanted me to bring him here but I don't have an extra room and bed for him to stay here. My husband is being treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is in remission now. This is a huge blessing. There are other things that I really don't want to mention but it's just been so much.

Do you have advice?

Pao777 aka Paula

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Unfortunately Pao777 ,mustangsallys comment was written two yrs ago, we're into a new platform here so I apologize if this is a little confusing. I'm glad I noticed your comment, I'm sorry about your Dad and your husband's health but I'm so glad he's in remission and I am glad you are here with us, stay close and read everything you can about quitting smoking and Remaining Quit because there's a wealth of information to strengthen your resolve, have you quit? And if so how long? I don't know what to say about your situation with your Dad and sister, continue to pray about it and talk with your husband because you need to do what's best for the two of you as well! 

0 Kudos
Pao777

Thank you Marilyn. I quit on February 15th. It's been 5 days. Thank you for your advice I really appreciate all advice. -Paula

0 Kudos

Hi Paula!

Look at the date of the discussion that you commented on - Oct 24. 2014/

You can write the same thing in your own Blog - you just need a simple title for a blog. 

As for your Question - that would be too much for me to handle but only you know what you can do. If you said no to your step-mother she would have to find another solution. You have no obligation to your Dad unless you choose to. The fact that you'll be isolated with the man who abused you (even though he may not be capable of that behavior now) could be a major challenge to your Quit Journey. 

Think carefully of how you will handle that challenge before you get there! What will you do to protect your Quit? Of course, you can always count on us to provide support as you need it but you may need more ideas of how to manage your time. I'm a Care Provider in an Assisted Living Facility so I understand how demanding geriatric care can be. Does your Father have a Social Services Provider? I would ask that person for resources that you can use to care for yourself while you care for your Dad. Your church may be able to provide support as well. Definitely let the local congregation know what you are doing and lean on them!

Learning Spanish and Bible Study are Great distractions! Buena Suerte! 

Just remember, Paula, we have a saying here:

"Take what you want and leave the rest!

To be helpful is our only goal!"

0 Kudos