cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

stebunny

3rd month of Chantix

Hi Everyone,
I am going on my 3rd month of Chantix and I have to ask if anyone else has experienced what I have experienced. For a few days now I am having difficulty sleeping and as crazy as it sounds I am not sure what I dreamed or what really happened in real life. Maybe I am crazy?!? Tonight I am not going to take the Chantix and see if I can sleep more soundly throughout the night without waking to a dream or sound. I am very curious if anyone else has felt this and if you have any suggestions- I dont really want to mess up the dosing by skipping the night but I feel like I might be making myself over-exhausted with it. THANKS!
stebunny
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
linda41

I had the same experience and I think they are going to come out with some official warnings about depression possibilites. the dreams were very vivid and animated. I woke up tired. After I had quit smoking for about 2 months, I cut back to one in the morning with food, to stave off the nausea. That seemed to work fine for me. Slept better and the dreams stopped. Once you get past the first 3 days without smoking, your system is clean of the nicotine. The Chanitx helped me to be able to focus on the habit part. I have been smoke free for 13 months now. YEA!! Try decreasing your dose and see if that helps you. It worked for me, but it may not be right for everyone. My husband gets very sick on any dose past 1/2 mg per day. So we are sticking with that and I also got him some patches. Between the 2, we are hoping he can kick the habit. Since this is all so new, I don't think anyone really has an answer. I find it hard to believe that "one size fits all" for the dosage of that drug. Best of luck to you.
0 Kudos
debbie11

Wonderful cease smoking aid...crazy side effects. I am on my 3rd month and I've stopped counting the days since I quit cigarettes and am counting the days till I'm finished with Chantix. Maybe I will try only taking the morning pill. I am also going through menupause and this month I am ready to bite peoples heads off. I wake up every 2 hours at night and have those strange dreams also and tired in the mornings. I have a lot of other medical issues and they are all out of whack right now( type 2 diabetes, High blood pressure, high cholesterol and I've gained 20 lbs). I just saw the doc today and we are going to try to resolve some of the issues. I love chatting on here but I feel like we are all in the Matrix movie.....the blue pill or the red one ??? LOLOL
0 Kudos

I actually stopped taking my chantix after week 2 because I was experiencing difficulty with my sleep. I couldn't sleep well, and when I did, I would have wacky and sometimes scary dreams. The last night I took them, I had this horribly demonic dream which centered around where I grew up, and I didn't want any part of my brain stealing away my happy place. So, I stopped taking them, and I am fine without them, and my sleep has much improved. My doctor even told me if I felt that they were having negative effects on my body or psyche in any way, to stop. My mental and physical health were too important. My sleep is better, If only my husband would stop waking me when he swears I'm snoring.

I sometimes get cravings for cigarettes, but the chantix helped me over the road block of the first couple of weeks. Now, I'm quit for good, and when I want a smoke, I think of how hard it was to quit in the first place, and realize it really is NOT worth it at all!
0 Kudos

When my doctor screened me for this pill, he warned me that people who have been diagnosed with depression or were being treated for anxiety or depression were at an increased risk of side effects from the pills. He just told me to monitor my thoughts and my dreams, and to stop taking them if I felt something wasn't right. I had a wicked demonic dream in the middle of the 2nd week of taking them (one week after my quit date) and I was like oh, no, not gonna go this route! I took doc's advice and stopped them, and have really been okay without pills and smokies. Congrats on your 13 months! Good luck to your honey for success!
0 Kudos
denverdeb

hey girl, i started taking my chantix at about 4:00 and that seemed to do the trick of not having sleeplessness and weird dreams. Now I have actually begun to take just one a day sometimes and I am doing fine. You may be ready to get off of it. If you feel you are, just go ahead and start taking one a day, but ask your doc. Just remember to tell yourself that the chantix is doing it, not you!!! You are NOT your emotions. Great job! How long smoke free??
0 Kudos
danny4

I took Chantix for almost 2 month and yes would have strange dreams. Me and a friend were both taking it at the same time and he was complaining about not sleeping at night and have really weird dreams. I spoke to my doctor and she said that it is one of the side effects of taking Chantix.
0 Kudos
mizzbflye

hello chantix users! I am interested in getting a method that would actually work becaue I have no confidence in my quitting otherwise where can u get chantix from?
0 Kudos
Jaded

MizzButtaFly- You need a prescription from your doctor..

I have been on chantix for 11 days and I'm 5 days smoke free! I just started having some odd dreams, nothing scary so I'm going to deal with it since it is the only side effect I am having. Also, my insurance co. doesn't cover the cost so I'm only going to take it for one month which is ok with me since I have no desire to ever smoke again
0 Kudos
mizzbflye

thanks for the info, how much does it cost without insurance if u don't mind me asking.. quitter?
0 Kudos