cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

maureen-regan

Now What ???

I do not know how to do any part of my life without a cigarette - I chain smoked for 30 years and smoked for a total of 53 - now what?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
lynn8

Enjoy the freedom of being able to smell, sleep and do a LOT of other things without having that butt hang out of your mouth!
When you get to the point of not knowing what to do, write a letter, take a walk, get a drink of water.
I personally, keep a water bottle by my side all the time. I keep trident gum or lemon drops near as well!
I HAD smoked for 36 years and here I am! The first couple of weeks can be tough and we are here to help!
STAY TOUGH! Think about the GOOD you will be doing for your body and for that loved ones around you!
0 Kudos
maureen-regan

Hi Cliff - thanks for your help and concern - really sweet of you - actually feeling sick today so laying low and resting - I don't so much crave a cigarette - what really bothers me is I simply can't do any of my favorite things anymore without thinking about smoking - cooking - gardening - painting - anything - nothing is right and I'm getting downright depressed - have you gone thru that?
0 Kudos
sandy14

now what? Breath easer, live without fear of contaminated others air, free from the constant grasp of having to have a cigarrette. I feel the same way you feel and thats why I'm trying to be positive and talk my way out of wanting one all the time.
0 Kudos
julie36

Hi guys-Maureen, what you wrote could be me except that I have smoked for over 40 years. I was a painter who worked at home for years, broke the 3 pack a day habit, am now trying to give up the last daily pack. Can anyone tell me when I can think of something other than sneaking a quick cigarette on myself?
0 Kudos
maureen-regan

Are you on Chantix - because if you are it will happen without you hardly trying - the Chantix blocks the nicotine receptor in our brain and in time (7 weeks for me) we just stop craving the smoke - it's the habit of the smoke - that's driving me crazy - lollipops are working pretty well
Each time you're craving - tell yourself just 5 more minutes - and find something to do in the meantime - first thing you know half an hour will have gone by - any tricks you can think will work - TRY !!
0 Kudos

I went on Chantix, but when I was on the full dosage The nausea was so bad that I was in the bathroom all day long....I thought it was just a fluke, so I tapeded off, then went back to the 2 pills again and it was the same thing. Did anyone else have this problem?
0 Kudos
maureen-regan

I was nauseous almost all the time, but not throwing up, so it was do-able - like morning sickness - saltines worked - I had days where the stomach pain was downright scary - but I knew I wasn't dying so I stuck it out - took a lot of naps - I did not have to cut back - however - I know someone who reacted as you are and what she did was simply take one pill a day - sometimes just a half - took longer but she was able to quit - so tough it out as much as you can - hang in there !!! It can be done !!!
0 Kudos
jeannie4

Like you I never smoked in my home and I had a screened in patio "the smoking lounge". I never smoked at work, so to and from and lunch time was the best! I have had to avoid the patio for about a month. My husband I still joke about pausing the TV for a smoke break. The "on his way home calls" I now can joke and ask for a pack of smokes and a 6 pac of beer! Had to have the SUV detailed inside several times to get as much smoke smell out as possible. Im considering a new SUV to get the smoke out!
I have so much extra time now since I quit. I have taken up walking and have lost some much needed weight and more to come. I could never exercise for more than 10-15 minutes without being exhausted then showering and having a cig to calm down. Now I walk-jog to calm down for at least an hour!
Good to know people that are going through everything I am!
0 Kudos
julie36

I really am determined to make it, too, but it's like I lost my best friend. I really enjoyed those times in life when I could just sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and a cigarette. I actually enjoyed smoking and am still looking for something to take it's place!
0 Kudos